Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCWF-What is happening in regards to hunting Fees going 100% back inti Conservation?

Re: BCWF-What is happening in regards to hunting Fees going 100% back inti Conservati

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    Nice.

I have been talking to a lot of folks about hunting in my town. I haven't spoken to one person who has been against it.

A lot of people understand why we hunt and see the positives in it. Others had never understood hunting but now are totally into it because of partners being hunters.

Joe Rogan was the reason someone I know wants to get into hunting. I have friends whose wives are encouraging to get into hunting.

Guess what I'd say to everyone is to speak to as many people about it as possible. If you're passionate about people will respect that and they understand why you do it (healthy adventures with friends and your kill what you eat).

Hopefully we can hush the squeaky wheels that are dictating our provincial policies.
    I like what you say here, its true.

Re: BCWF-What is happening in regards to hunting Fees going 100% back inti Conservati

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    As the titles states:

I recall at one point in time, there was movement at getting the provincial government
    to make changes and us hunters seeing all of our money we spend on tags etc, go back
    100% into the Conservation Fund (or whatever, just not general revenue).

Just wondering what is happening on that front? (maybe I missed the changes??)
    And yes, even with 100% going back in, it won't be enough.
    Any update would be appreciated, thanks.
    Excellent topic. Where is our money? Where does it go? Where is the transparency?
    just a few of many hunter concerns. Out of respect for everything the BCWF has done I will keep this as clean as possible. Where is hunter representation? BCWF is losing members and clubs at an alarming rate, perhaps time to reconsider BCWF policies and position.....get back in the fight for what’s right.

Quote Originally Posted by RobU View Post
    Excellent topic. Where is our money? Where does it go? Where is the transparency?
    just a few of many hunter concerns. Out of respect for everything the BCWF has done I will keep this as clean as possible. Where is hunter representation? BCWF is losing members and clubs at an alarming rate, perhaps time to reconsider BCWF policies and position.....get back in the fight for what’s right.

Did you have time to look through this: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/app/uploads...Update-WEB.pdf
    gives you an idea of what they've done so far and what they are going to do.

Thank you. I missed it. Interesting to see if and how it follows through

The new wildlife agency and the $100 million cash infection was a Lib promise, died in the election?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    The new wildlife agency and the $100 million cash infection was a Lib promise, died in the election?
    "Infection" actually sounds better than "Injection"!
    Injection sounds like it could spread and get larger!
    Injection sounds like a 1 shot deal...

So, that's all dead???
    OR is there anything in regards to the petition that BCWF has on their website right now?

meant to say 'infusion'
    freudian slip
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

"Infusion"!!!????
    Man, you sure you don't live in the West End in downtown Vancouver!

As dapesche highlighted, the idea of applying all license and tag fees to wildlife is being discussed, and it was one of the items on the table at the recent Improving Wildlife Management and Habitat Conservation workshop in Richmond. Attendees were non-FN stakeholders from industry through to ENGOs as well as government.

It's still in "goal" stage, and it's not clear how it would be handled. Freshwater fishery is a proposed model.

One thing to keep in mind: it's all well and good to demand license and tag revenue go back to the wild landscape, and it's great to claim "Hey, we're the ones paying and it's our money", but be careful - we don't want to be limited to that amount, because we need way, way more, and we need more people than hunters paying.

Anyway, it's still on the drawing board. It's a huge job to move it off the drawing board and get it into the rulebook.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    One thing to keep in mind: it's all well and good to demand license and tag revenue go back to the wild landscape, and it's great to claim "Hey, we're the ones paying and it's our money", but be careful - we don't want to be limited to that amount, because we need way, way more, and we need more people than hunters paying.
    This.

Without going into a huge amount of detail I have some experience in Municipal government and you have to be really careful about user fees or what are called "specific purpose taxes" (I think I remember the terminology right). California is a good example of where there have been ballot initiatives to tax "X" to fund "Y" and the numbers never balances out - you always have either too much revenue or too little (usually the latter).

I've been on this forum for a bit, and know there are some that don't support or are frustrated with the BCWF, but it is issues like this where organizations like the BCWF can say "fees go to X and AT A MINIMUM this amount of money is spent on X".

In other words, an advocacy organization like the BCWF might say something like "Hunting License Fees should go to conservation, but not just Hunter enjoy the wildlife we are conserving (hikers, birders, tourism companies, etc. do too) so License Fees should be applied to Conservation IN ADDITION to $X from general revenues". If you just have a petition, without the advocacy organization, you can get screwed in the end. (true, you might still get screwed - BCWF is advocacy, it is not government, they can advocate for things but that doesn't mean the government will enact them - but you'll get better results than with NO advocacy).