Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Shepherd's Pie

Re: Bear Shepherd's Pie

Looks awesome! I'm not much of a cook so I just get pepperoni. I should be making food like this too.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Your meal looks great. I’ve cooked up bear shoulder pulled pork style a few times lately, one of the times we had some leftovers. I put the remaining shredded meat in the food processor to chop it up small, then poured gravy over it with some peas and carrots, a layer of mashed potatoes and a paprika sprinkle - awesome Shepard’s pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Awasin View Post
    Look's delicious! It should be called a Cottage Pie rather than Shepherd's Pie though as bear shepherding is not really a thing lol. Has anybody ever tried it -- or similar recipes -- with bear fat rather than using ground pork fat?
    You certainly can use bear fat instead of pork fat. We always use bear fat on all of our recopies where most use pork fat. The trick to using bear fat is when you harvest a bear, make sure to slice or cut the fat in small pieces. We have learned that large chunks don't liquefy well requiring a long heating process. The longer you heat the fat, it reduces the quality of the fat. After liquefying over heat, let cool, then strain and put in containers for the freezer and use in all your recipes where pork fat would be used. In my opinion, bear fat is superior to pork fat both in taste, and in nutritional value. We also only use broth which we make from game animals that we harvested. Again, better tasting and more nutritious.

Great recipe WildCook. I'll be taking note. Thanks for posting.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Looks great, all we've been eating lately is ground bear, tastes amazing with no fat added but we usually throw a tablespoon of butter in when browning it..can't tell the difference from beef..dandelion bears from region 5 as well..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA