Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020 Sheep Hunt

Re: 2020 Sheep Hunt

First one I went on, I had to have two extra pages added to the book for all the tags I had......didn't get 300m off the lake before we ran into our first distraction....elk, which was open....then it was mule deer, which were closed for another 2 weeks, then it was a good grizzly a 100 yards from us and he was open. All this in the first day after we flew in. Then, after we spent 6 hours heading up the mountain, we were resting and watching a couple really nice bull moose feeding in the lake, again open. But we focused on sheep and in the end, we killed 3 rams, two good billies and a chocolate coloured black bear....but there were days when the distraction was really pulling us away from our focus.

Ever since then, it has been a sheep, goat and one of us carried a caribou and the other a moose tag...just in case we were weathered out. We always went the last week or 10 days of September

Go in for one species and concentrate on that species: sheep and goats live is some of the most beautiful country in the world, so spend some time up there and enjoy the whole hunt

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I agree, I have a couple good meat hunts for this year. One being a New Mexico elk hunt. We have 4 hunters in the house and will be applying for all kinds of hunts this year. So hopefully we fill freezers this year. We are planning first priority sheep for 2020.

Flying is the way to go hands down, so many more options and like mentioned you get a really good idea of the area your hunting.....birds eye view before you start.

I would pick the area I wanted to hunt and adjust the mode of transportation accordingly, rather than letting your preferred mode of transport dictate where you will hunt. I've flown, boated, hiked and ATV'd for sheep - all are reasonable ways to get into sheep country.

When picking where to hunt, focus on areas known for sheep, rather than trying to find an area where you can hunt multiple species including sheep. As others have said above, you will have more success focusing on one species. And shooting a moose or a caribou can end a sheep hunt pretty quickly - I've done it!

Wild Sheep Society is a fantastic organization. The convention is a very good time, and you can learn a lot about sheep hunting there. I will be going again this year.

Best of luck when you do get out there sheep hunting!

bcmulie