Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Sheep Hunt

2020 Sheep Hunt

It’s a long ways off but the planning has begun. My 23 yr old son and I, 51 are going on our first sheep hunt. We are both experienced back country hunters and have all the right gear. I should say I (Dad) has all the right gear, 2 of everything. I have been slowly upgrading everything over the past couple years. Merino socks to super accurate lightweight rifles and the best optics available and everything in between.

We have done 2 elk hunts on the Tuchodi and have gotten to know Kevin very well and he has been very helpful in pointing us in the right direction as far as gear etc. Kevin has sold Riverjet and the new owner has his work cut out filling KW shoes.

The big dilemma for us is deciding which way to go, obviously jet boat transport is the way we are leaning however fly in to an area is also a consideration. The challenge for fly in for us is sorting out where to begin. With the jet boat option you get more or less placed in a good area even if you aren’t familiar with it.

I am looking for opinions on which way you would go for a first time sheep hunt. Boat or plane.

We joined the wild sheep society last year and intend on going to the Kamloops show.

thanks to all
    be safe

2. Site Sponsor

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Re: 2020 Sheep Hunt

The Kamloops show is awesome, I would highly recommend you and your son taking in the aging seminar, I was lucky enough to take when Clay Lancaster was teaching it and it was invaluable.

As far as flying or Jetboating I would fly in but thats just me, Im sure the area chosen would be the deciding factor in choosing your method of transport
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

One nice thing about flying, for a couple extra bucks, a guy can get toured around a little, it’s always nice seeing what your getting into from the air. Depending on where a guy flys into, it could get a guy closer to timberline too.

One nice thing about jetboat is you won't get grounded due to shit weather..

I shot my ram in 2014 up the Muskwa after hiring Kevin. Amazing adventure, beautiful country and a great hunt.

I've flown in for caribou and would fly in for sheep without concerns as well. Both have their advantages and disadvantages for sure. As SR80 points out, flying can have some weather concerns that can cause delays. The river can also have different levels of crowds on it as more and more people have boats these days. Distances you can or are willing to hike can play into it.

Probably why I enjoy the planning and deciding as much as anything....its all part of the journey!

I agree the planning is half the fun. Did you go early or did you wait for other species to open up?
    This is also a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    I agree the planning is half the fun. Did you go early or did you wait for other species to open up?
    This is also a consideration.
    If you're going on a sheep hunt, I personally am of the belief that you should hunt sheep and sheep only.

I went later in Aug when elk was open, but made sure I didn't buy an elk tag or try to blend hunts. No distractions, only sheep.

Another option is Steamboat Mountain Outfitters. They use horses. I've used them several times, and have taken a couple nice rams. PM me if you want more details
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Never flown or boated in for anything yet, too poor or cheap I guess. There are a lot of good Rams taken hiking in from the Hwy every year. Mine may not be the nicest, but they were very satisfying and enjoy having them on the wall. Horses would be my 2nd choice after feet.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    If you're going on a sheep hunt, I personally am of the belief that you should hunt sheep and sheep only.

I went later in Aug when elk was open, but made sure I didn't buy an elk tag or try to blend hunts. No distractions, only sheep.
    I agree unless you aren't really thirsty for a ram and you might be so lucky to bump into one. My first sheep hunt was mixed bag and we took a caribou and that essentially ended the sheep hunt. I then went on 11 sheep only hunts and no regrets. Now I would consider a mixed bag hunt but circumstances have changed . . .
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC