Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Re: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

@labguy,I think you are breed blind!!
    I don't know what kind of Versatile Hunting Dogs you have encountered but when it comes to versatility any German Versatile gun dog got the Lab beat,hands down.
    Maybe you should check out any of the German VGP tests and then tell me if a Lab can keep up.Granted,in order to get a dog to this kind of level you better spend time,and lots of it with your dog.
    To say that a lab is the most versatile dog is a blatant lack of knowledge of the german gundogs and their abilities.

Rainer

How would the DD,s handle this....Rainer?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=zjRninh4vyc
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    How would the DD,s handle this....Rainer?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=zjRninh4vyc
    WOW! That's something! BUT it's not showing versatility. It's showing what strong swimmers labs are.

Labguy, do you think those dogs have their dew claws intact? I imaging if they did it would make easier for them to scale those rocks.

Peronally,I wouldn't send my dogs to get beat up by waves just to show that they can do it.
    Does a DD or PP or whatever have the drive and passion to do it...absolutely!
    The coat on a well bred DD is water-repellent and cold weather is not a problem and when it comes to drive,most of them got more than they need.
    I'm not going to get into which is better argument but when it comes to versatility.....sorry,give me a german dog any time.
    Their are quite a few DDs out east...Nova scotia and Newfoundland that are being used for maritime applications.

In your video the labs are being used what the were bred for.......retrieving!No versatility there.

Rainer

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    WOW! That's something! BUT it's not showing versatility. It's showing what strong swimmers labs are.

Labguy, do you think those dogs have their dew claws intact? I imaging if they did it would make easier for them to scale those rocks.
    Dont know but many knowlegabe dogmen are leaving them on now.

I itemized the versatility in my first post on this thread.

I was there when "Versatiles" first started making inroads into the North American gundog scene. They were toted to "Out retrieve Retrievers, out point Pointers and out track Hounds. The truth is they are jacks of all trades and masters of none and bred to be so. Labs will do anything a "Versatile" does with the exception of pointing and some soft flushing labs are even said to point. Lab Guy makes a great point with the non hunting things a Lab does, you don't see a lot of "Versatiles" doing the extra curricular activities that Labs do. "Versatiles" are a good all purpose dog but to characterize them as the and all and be all in versatility is indeed misleading. And yes I have worked with and hunted over a number of Versatile dogs from a number of breeds.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Leaving dewclaws in place have far more negative effects than removing them. I have seen dewclaws ripped off and spewing blood from hard packed snow, and other hazards. I would never put my dog through the trauma of what un-removed dewclaws can inflict.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    When I lived up in Kelowna through the eighties I hunted pheasants almost every day of the season, weather permitting with one or both of my brittany spaniels (mother/daughter duo). I got my two birds, all wild, more often than not. The birds were more skittish near the end of the season as you mentioned but they almost always came to a stop at some point. One of my favourite places to hunt back then were the draws that led down to Kalamalka L. My dog would get birdy right at the top of a draw and make several points on the way down the draw, obviously scenting a running bird, but neither of them would bust the bird.

Eventually the bird would have no where to go and hold tight, I suppose out of fear. I'd walk in front of the dog, flush it, and get the shot off,,,,sometimes I was even too close to the bird on my first shot. My biggest concern was the bird would fly out over the cliffs there and my dog might chase so I was reluctant to shoot at times but it never stopped me.

I remember as if it happened yesterday that very thing happening and wondering if I should shoot because it was a very high cliff. In any event the bird went up, I shot, winged the bird, and it glided down onto the lake at least 50 or more yards out onto the water.

My brit charged around the cliff and by the time I found a route around and down the cliff to the tracks she was swimming into shore about 25 yards out with it, dragging it by the head. If you can believe it, that bird glided onto the water with such force that there wasn't a feather left on its belly/breast. Plucked tall he feathers right off! LOL

It was still alive so I quickly dispatched it. It has been my favourite retrieve to this day!

I missed this post earlier. I know the spot your talking about. I've probably seen you in those draws with your spaniels. I've hunted them many times myself before the new highway.

Those are special memories that dogmen cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    I was there when "Versatiles" first started making inroads into the North American gundog scene. They were toted to "Out retrieve Retrievers, out point Pointers and out track Hounds. The truth is they are jacks of all trades and masters of none and bred to be so. Labs will do anything a "Versatile" does with the exception of pointing and some soft flushing labs are even said to point. Lab Guy makes a great point with the non hunting things a Lab does, you don't see a lot of "Versatiles" doing the extra curricular activities that Labs do. "Versatiles" are a good all purpose dog but to characterize them as the and all and be all in versatility is indeed misleading. And yes I have worked with and hunted over a number of Versatile dogs from a number of breeds.
    If they Pointers and Labs would be so versatile then why did the good ole germans develope gundogs to do it all??Haven't seen any labs or pointers that point birds or indepenently search and flush game in wooded areas,track fur,feather and big game,work in packs to search and hold boars,blood track (20/40 hour bloodtrack),dead game bay,guide and bringsel guide dead game,retrieve on land and water,have enough sharpness for predators,retrieve foxes,work close in cover and extend in open country,run rabbits and bring such in front of hunter,be scent and/or sight loud...just to name a few of the atributes.
    When we are talking versatile ,we are not talking "social work or community service".
    The Versatile dogs over here are relegated as a bird dog and most of them will never have the opportunity to show their full potential as a versatile gun dog.
    Not to be disparaging,but you lab guys have limited experience with versatile hunting dogs!!

"social work or community service". Why there is nothing in the term versatile that denotes hunting only, true versatility takes many forms. If you haven't seen Labs(or Goldens) hunting and flushing game in wooded areas you really need to get out more lol. We all love our breeds but lets be honest the average Lab in North America takes on and is competent in more jobs than your average Wirehair, Shorthair, Griff, Vizsla etc. Tout yur chosen breed all you like but don't sell labs short on versatility.
    "BORN TO HUNT"