Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Re: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    At least the "doodle" breeders are upfront about the outcross parentage. If people are dumb enough to spend $2500.00 on a crossbred mutt that's their problem.

The Silver breeders, except for the ones (and there are a few) who really don't know the history or the facts about the origin of that color, are outright liars and cheats.. and should be neutered so they can't reproduce.
    That's some funny chit, right there.

And for those folks who think that using a pointing breed in BC isn't warranted because pheasants aren't all that easy to find anymore, I say, "Why not?" I wouldn't want to use a flusher or a retriever on covey birds like chukars or quail. They'd bust up too far away from me to get off a shot, especially later in the season when they become more wary.

The areas I get all my grouse from are almost always on the thickest timbered, skinny back roads so I could easily get away with not having a pointer but I find she's good at letting me know that there's others I didn't see just standing on the road that are hidden close by by pointing at them. It has gotten me extra birds.

[QUOTE=mastercaster;2068208]
    They'd bust up too far away from me to get off a shot, especially later in the season when they become more wary.
    QUOTE]

Any flushing dog worth its salt will always work in gun range. While I agree that covey birds are a pointers meat I have shot 100s of Chucker and lots of Huns and Quail over my Spaniels and Goldens. As for late season birds when they get weary they will flush or run before a pointer can get locked and it becomes a game of cat and mouse when a flusher hits the covey they are already within gun range so you get the shot you never would with a big running pointer. Not in all cases to be sure but enough to scratch out a limit.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

[QUOTE=Foxton Gundogs;2068210]
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    They'd bust up too far away from me to get off a shot, especially later in the season when they become more wary.
    QUOTE]

Any flushing dog worth its salt will always work in gun range. While I agree that covey birds are a pointers meat I have shot 100s of Chucker and lots of Huns and Quail over my Spaniels and Goldens. As for late season birds when they get weary they will flush or run before a pointer can get locked and it becomes a game of cat and mouse when a flusher hits the covey they are already within gun range so you get the shot you never would with a big running pointer. Not in all cases to be sure but enough to scratch out a limit.
    A good pheasant pointing dog will manage a running pheasant which is called "manners behind game"in the german testing system and is evaluated.Granted,a excellent pheasant dog makes a poor grouse dog and vice versa but to say that a pointer is inferior to a flusher is rather silly.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    So Rainer, do you breed and sell these versatile dogs? Loaded question here...?
    No,I don't breed them.

I will stick with my Lab.... he has great potential, this one is only 2.. but he has a good head on his shoulders...
    I am not a pointer guy,,, a lot of that is because of how I was brought up... My Great Uncle was a Springer guy.. one partner had a pointer.. hunting on the island is always thick.. he always told stories about the pointer locking up and not unlocking.. they would leave a coat on the ground and go back the next day to get the dog.... The other thing I don't like is they Range by nature... that comes with a every day life cost...

Timber is versatile in the fact he is a great family dog, he is an awesome fishing companion and he so far has show huge potential in the field to be a calm headed methodical hunter.

that said, I was brought up hunting how I do... as many pointer guys were... I will not say to the pointer Crew you are wrong because they aren't... The biggest difference is what people do and what they expect from the dog...
    "Blood Tracker" doesn't enter my mind one bit.... Grouse does every day.... A guy like Spy has a completely different idea of what a good dog is than I do.... does it make him wrong? Well that doesn't! lol....

I just think people need to take a long hard look at what the breed was designed for and how that will fit their life.... tooo many people don't give that enough thought....
    "Why is my hound so loud?" replied by face book dumass " its ok you can train any dog to do anything!" I love my lab....

TO THE OP:

I think all dog owners think their particular breed (dog) is superior to others. I believe this thread proves it.

Simply because someone says a particular breed is amazing and somehow "better" than the others means nothing unless you know the source of that information.

Someones idea of an "awesome" hunting dog might be a washout to someone else.

How much actual experience and knowlege goes into these opinions. How many dogs and how many breeds has the poster had to make blanket statements about breed superiority? How many dogs has the poster actually trained? How often are these dogs actually used for their intended purpose in a year? What value is a posters opinion if you don't know the source and the value of that opinion.

Unless you know the source and any biases they have, asking advice about which breed to buy on the internet is a pretty foolhardy way to get accurate information.

All the advice you've read here is worth exactely what you paid for it. You have no way of knowing the accuracy of anyone's input.

Get a dog (breed) that you think will suit your personality and the purpose you want it for and enjoy the journey. It's usually a 10 plus year commitment.
    Last edited by labguy; 01-25-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Labguy

Yes I agree I was just trying to get a feel for what might work in BC, I got some interesting feedback and have been doing alot of research to get the dog that best suits what I do, normally I would not have asked this question on the internet but since it was a hunting forum and posted in the gundog section I thought it might be a good idea, I just did not anticipate getting so many passionate replies and stirring up such a hornets nest.

Thanks for all the input

No matter what you choose, Be sure all pertinent tests are done on the sire and dam. Good luck it's a fun ride.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 01-26-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
    Labguy

Yes I agree I was just trying to get a feel for what might work in BC, I got some interesting feedback and have been doing alot of research to get the dog that best suits what I do, normally I would not have asked this question on the internet but since it was a hunting forum and posted in the gundog section I thought it might be a good idea, I just did not anticipate getting so many passionate replies and stirring up such a hornets nest.

Thanks for all the input
    Tell you what, though, even though it was a bit of pissing contest on who thought what when it came to choosing a breed I think this has been one of the better threads on here in awhile,,,,,,well, at least in this sub forum. The only thing that would have made it better is more hunting photos with the dogs!

My britts were hunting machines. This one gave me 14 great years of hunting and lived until she was 17 1/2.

IMG_1163
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-25-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Mastercaster that is a good looking dog