Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

I am looking into getting a hunting dog and considering a Weimarainer, I previously had an English Springer and although she was small she was an amazing dog, strong, fearless an excellent retriever in water or on land and could hunt out game birds or small ground game. I just never used her to track large game or in that type of situation so I am interested if anyone has any experience or thoughts of these or any other versatile hunting dog.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

My old male Springer Moose was an excellent blood trailer. He found a number of downed deer, a few bears and even a couple of moose
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Try a Pudelpointer.

You guys and your "Versatiles"...seriously. Here's a bit of a reality check.

The Labrador Retriever is by far the most "versatile" dog in the planet.

-excellent Retrievers
    -very good upland game dogs
    -good blood trackers
    -good shed hunters
    -good search and rescue dogs
    -good cadaver dogs
    -good drug sniffing dogs
    -good bomb detection dogs
    -good service dogs for the blind and disabled
    -good pack dogs

The list truly goes on and on. Show me another breed that does all this while possessing an outgoing personality and intelligence, kind and gentle temperament, is easy to train and makes a great companion.

There is a good reason they are the most popular large breed dogs in the world. They can be trained to do almost anything.

I know this will ruffle a few feathers but seriously.......what other breeds are more "versatile" ?

By the way, the Weimaraner, like the Irish Setter, had most of the brains bred out of them years ago. The "show" people bred for looks instead of intelligence and ability and are responsible for the demise of many fine breeds.

If your truly stuck on a Weim, PM me. I know a woman in the Okanagan that does have some good ones and can probably point you in the right direction.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

As far as versatility goes when it comes to hunting, a griff, a PP, or a DD can do it all (retrieves equally well on land and on water, awesome upland bird and small game hunter, can track super well, hunts sheds),,,,,plus they point at upland birds instead of flushing them so you can casually walk up to the bird your dog is pointing at. Never a need to rush your shot. Plus, if you can get one with a proper wiry coat, there is minimal shedding. The hunting has not been bred out of these dogs yet.

That being said,,,,,I love labs, too! I have yet to see them hunt chukars on steep, rugged terrain, though. Have a hunch they'd bump birds that you wouldn't be able to get shots off at,,,,,just speculation on my part, though.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Lab guy!
    Awesome! ....

I have a 20week GSP, and she’s a great family dog, and hopefully one day, a great hunting dog too. Couldn’t be happier with her really - great with the kids, picks things up quickly, very affectionate, seems to have a good prey drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    As far as versatility goes when it comes to hunting, a griff, a PP, or a DD can do it all (retrieves equally well on land and on water, awesome upland bird and small game hunter, can track super well, hunts sheds),,,,,plus they point at upland birds instead of flushing them so you can casually walk up to the bird your dog is pointing at. Never a need to rush your shot. Plus, if you can get one with a proper wiry coat, there is minimal shedding. The hunting has not been bred out of these dogs yet.

That being said,,,,,I love labs, too! I have yet to see them hunt chukars on steep, rugged terrain, though. Have a hunch they'd bump birds that you wouldn't be able to get shots off at,,,,,just speculation on my part, though.
    Pointing on upland birds is effective mostly on covey birds like chukars, partridge and quail. Pheasants, especially wild, previously hunted ones will ruin a pointing dog because they usually will not hold and will run as fast as a road runner, thereby frustrating the pointers. A running pheasant will quickly teach a pointer to chase them....out of frustration.......which you don't want in a pointer.

There are dogs that are much better than Labs for specific types of hunting. Spaniels and pointers generally have better scenting ability than Labs. I hunt with a guy who owns one of Foxtons breedings and he is a pheasant machine....very little gets by him. Like Labs, spaniels are flush dogs. They are used to find and flush birds. They need to be trained to hunt within a certain distance or it doesn't work. Not hard to do, just need to be trained.

Hounds can trail much better than just about any dog.

The only thing that can beat a lab for waterfowl is a Chesapeake. Not to poop on Griffs, DD's or PP,s but their coats are simply not made to withstand multiple retirieves in icy water at well below freezing temps. They are good Retrievers to a point but not in the same class as Labs or Chessies. They are probably better at scenting than most breeds which make them great for upland, small game and trailing.

Any breed needs to be trained to become useful. It takes a lot of time, knowlege and experience to properly train a hunting companion. Most people don't have the time, knowlege, experience or patience to properly accomplish this.

I like all the aforementioned breeds. They all have their purpose.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Pointing on upland birds is effective mostly on covey birds like chukars, partridge and quail. Pheasants, especially wild, previously hunted ones will ruin a pointing dog because they usually will not hold and will run as fast as a road runner, thereby frustrating the pointers. A running pheasant will quickly teach a pointer to chase them....out of frustration.......which you don't want in a pointer.
    When I lived up in Kelowna through the eighties I hunted pheasants almost every day of the season, weather permitting with one or both of my brittany spaniels (mother/daughter duo). I got my two birds, all wild, more often than not. The birds were more skittish near the end of the season as you mentioned but they almost always came to a stop at some point. One of my favourite places to hunt back then were the draws that led down to Kalamalka L. My dog would get birdy right at the top of a draw and make several points on the way down the draw, obviously scenting a running bird, but neither of them would bust the bird.

Eventually the bird would have no where to go and hold tight, I suppose out of fear. I'd walk in front of the dog, flush it, and get the shot off,,,,sometimes I was even too close to the bird on my first shot. My biggest concern was the bird would fly out over the cliffs there and my dog might chase so I was reluctant to shoot at times but it never stopped me.

I remember as if it happened yesterday that very thing happening and wondering if I should shoot because it was a very high cliff. In any event the bird went up, I shot, winged the bird, and it glided down onto the lake at least 50 or more yards out onto the water.

My brit charged around the cliff and by the time I found a route around and down the cliff to the tracks she was swimming into shore about 25 yards out with it, dragging it by the head. If you can believe it, that bird glided onto the water with such force that there wasn't a feather left on its belly/breast. Plucked tall he feathers right off! LOL

It was still alive so I quickly dispatched it. It has been my favourite retrieve to this day!

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    You guys and your "Versatiles"...seriously. Here's a bit of a reality check.

The Labrador Retriever is by far the most "versatile" dog in the planet.

-excellent Retrievers
    -very good upland game dogs
    -good blood trackers
    -good shed hunters
    -good search and rescue dogs
    -good cadaver dogs
    -good drug sniffing dogs
    -good bomb detection dogs
    -good service dogs for the blind and disabled
    -good pack dogs

The list truly goes on and on. Show me another breed that does all this while possessing an outgoing personality and intelligence, kind and gentle temperament, is easy to train and makes a great companion.

There is a good reason they are the most popular large breed dogs in the world. They can be trained to do almost anything.

I know this will ruffle a few feathers but seriously.......what other breeds are more "versatile" ?

By the way, the Weimaraner, like the Irish Setter, had most of the brains bred out of them years ago. The "show" people bred for looks instead of intelligence and ability and are responsible for the demise of many fine breeds.

If your truly stuck on a Weim, PM me. I know a woman in the Okanagan that does have some good ones and can probably point you in the right direction.
    This except I think you meant to say spaniels Brian. After all the do retrieve geese LMAO.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.