Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Re: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

A Weimaraner will out perform any lab or Spaniel... Most hunting breeds bloodlines GSP hounds ect can be traced back to the Weimaraner... You can train a Weimaraner to do just about anything not so much a Spaniel......

I have a Weimar, I hunted it years ago but havent for a few years, hes getting on and has arthritis pretty bad. If you want some guidance training of Weimars I can put you in contact with someone I know that trains them exclusively to hunt..
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    A Weimaraner will out perform any lab or Spaniel... Most hunting breeds bloodlines GSP hounds ect can be traced back to the Weimaraner... You can train a Weimaraner to do just about anything not so much a Spaniel......
    I'm seen some nice ones but I major concern would b waterfowl hunting with them when the water is basically at a freezing level. Even with a neoprene vest on I'm not sure they could handle it. I may be out to lunch on this because I haven't hunted with anyone who owns one under these conditions but I have talked to owners in the past who say their weimaraners got cold easily,,,,actually hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I'm seen some nice ones but I major concern would b waterfowl hunting with them when the water is basically at a freezing level. Even with a neoprene vest on I'm not sure they could handle it. I may be out to lunch on this because I haven't hunted with anyone who owns one under these conditions but I have talked to owners in the past who say their weimaraners got cold easily,,,,actually hated it.
    Yes they do get cold and have to keep moving, just like GSPs a neoprene jacket does help.

I will add I now have a Golden Doodle that is probably one of the smartest dogs I’ve owned, a buddy also has one we use too find wounded game. Great noses. The best dog I ever owned and hunted was a cross Weimaraner/Dalmatian.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    You guys and your "Versatiles"...seriously. Here's a bit of a reality check.

The Labrador Retriever is by far the most "versatile" dog in the planet.

-excellent Retrievers
    -very good upland game dogs
    -good blood trackers
    -good shed hunters
    -good search and rescue dogs
    -good cadaver dogs
    -good drug sniffing dogs
    -good bomb detection dogs
    -good service dogs for the blind and disabled
    -good pack dogs

The list truly goes on and on. Show me another breed that does all this while possessing an outgoing personality and intelligence, kind and gentle temperament, is easy to train and makes a great companion.

There is a good reason they are the most popular large breed dogs in the world. They can be trained to do almost anything.

I know this will ruffle a few feathers but seriously.......what other breeds are more "versatile" ?

By the way, the Weimaraner, like the Irish Setter, had most of the brains bred out of them years ago. The "show" people bred for looks instead of intelligence and ability and are responsible for the demise of many fine breeds.

If your truly stuck on a Weim, PM me. I know a woman in the Okanagan that does have some good ones and can probably point you in the right direction.

Woo!

#triggered

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    Most hunting breeds bloodlines GSP hounds ect can be traced back to the Weimaraner... .

Not true!!

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    Not true!!
    Mmmm I think Im right I will have to look it up... My good friend Dr Raoul Van Der Westhuizen who owned many "hunting" Weimaraner's actually wrote a article in the SA Wingshooter mag about the breed and stated as much.. Im very sure he did his homework...

The Deutsch Kurzhaar is an older breed than the Weimaraner.German DK breeders never want the silver or blue coloration of the Weimaraner in the DK.Since the Weimi was originally a Big Game dog and only later turned into a pointing dog,the DK club didn't want more Bracke or Schweisshund blood .Here in North America there is a possibility that people messed about breeding to Gsps to Weimis but isn"t allowed in Germany or Austria.In their country of origin there is no such thing as experimenting with FCI dogs and still calling it a DK,unless you want to be booted out of the Breed club.

Quote Originally Posted by jagen mit DDrs View Post
    The Deutsch Kurzhaar is an older breed than the Weimaraner.German DK breeders never want the silver or blue coloration of the Weimaraner in the DK.Since the Weimi was originally a Big Game dog and only later turned into a pointing dog,the DK club didn't want more Bracke or Schweisshund blood .Here in North America there is a possibility that people messed about breeding to Gsps to Weimis but isn"t allowed in Germany or Austria.In their country of origin there is no such thing as experimenting with FCI dogs and still calling it a DK,unless you want to be booted out of the Breed club.
    Im not going to dispute anything you have written,you sound very knowledgeable & I'm sure we can learn allot about "hunting dogs" from you.
    I do think its plausible to say, the Weimaraner was bred with MANY other breeds in the Americas and other countries.