Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Re: New Hunting Dog Spaniel/Weimarainer Any Experience?

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    When hunting Pheasants on flat ground and light cover on Pheasants release sites Pointers and Setters do very well, but when you are in heavy and thick cover with hawthorn and thick willows in the coulees in south west Alberta or along the southern Red Deer river you need a dog that will go into that thick cover to flush out those birds. I'v seen Labs, Springers, Golden's and Chessies go in and flush them out, If the dogs know their in there you can't keep them out. I had an old Black lab female that once she was well experienced in Pheasant hunting she would encircle a patch of bush and if she went in,you better be ready because something was coming out, but if she encircled a patch and then carried onto the next one , It took a while but I ended up believing her nose.

And regardless of what hunting breed you pick, that is why we hunt behind dogs.... When a dog gets to know its job it can be awsome

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    When hunting Pheasants on flat ground and light cover on Pheasants release sites Pointers and Setters do very well, but when you are in heavy and thick cover with hawthorn and thick willows in the coulees in south west Alberta or along the southern Red Deer river you need a dog that will go into that thick cover to flush out those birds. I'v seen Labs, Springers, Golden's and Chessies go in and flush them out, If the dogs know their in there you can't keep them out. I had an old Black lab female that once she was well experienced in Pheasant hunting she would encircle a patch of bush and if she went in,you better be ready because something was coming out, but if she encircled a patch and then carried onto the next one , It took a while but I ended up believing her nose.
    When the brambles are really thick I've seen larger dogs that can't even get in there no matter how strong they might be. Been in those situations a few times when hunting with a lab in the pairing. Tough to stop a brit from going in there, though, because they're half the size and if their prey drive is through the roof like it should be,,,,, nothing will stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    When the brambles are really thick I've seen larger dogs that can't even get in there no matter how strong they might be. Been in those situations a few times when hunting with a lab in the pairing. Tough to stop a brit from going in there, though, because they're half the size and if their prey drive is through the roof like it should be,,,,, nothing will stop them.
    So on the 7th day God created the Spaniel. Lol. Seriously I love flushing dogs. When you see that tail start to go 100 MPH and you know they are birdy nothinglike the thril of a big Ringneck bustin cover 15 yards in front of you. What a rush
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.