Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The CWD epidemic is still growing...

Re: The CWD epidemic is still growing...

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I have been giving this site the heads up for how long?
    This is why more States and provinces don't allow baiting anymore.

OH NO I SAID THE 'B' WORD!

I may get time in the box.........
    I guess deer never eat or drink from the same natural food sources or puddles then huh? The baiting thing was pushed by antihunters first and they just used the CWD to further it. Has there actually been any scientific evidence of transfer from bait vs natural or even agricultural? I would think stagnant ponds/puddles would be far worse as during the warmer months they'd likely be ideal temps for all kinds of stuff to live/thrive in. Guess we shouldn't allow farmers to put out water or salt blocks for the cattle then, or even store their hay outside either, as deer use all of these regularly and they are far more abundant than the odd bait pile that maybe 10% of hunters use.
    Last edited by russm86; 01-22-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Bud, show me a natural source that congregates deer like a truck bed full of carrots. There’s nothing that calorie dense in nature. If there was there would be no need to bait.

Bait, grain piles or leaking bins, alfalfa fields, apples in season - lots of concentrators of deer.

Use a small amount of attractant on the landscape and some cry CWD!!! CWD!!!
    Meanwhile, back in reality, here are your areas of prime concern if and when it shows.
    Ranches and agriculture plots have hundreds of tonnes of concentrated feed that wildlife devour ...... but we should focus on that single block of salt or bag of grain when wildlife is not concentrated seems a bit of a priority mix up if you are concerned about the disease?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

CWD is no doubt a future concern and reality is it is likely a good number of years before it reaches BC. Fact of the matter is baiting or no baiting the only way CWD is not going to spread through BC is if there is a major breakthrough to combat it

So if CWD is a huge fear of yours maybe consider BC should add some support to Alberta and Saskatchewan in seeking a solution. Or wait till it reaches BC and pray someone has found a solution to CWD

Till then the elitists and masterbaiters can fight it out about how baiting does or does not increase the spread of CWD that has not breached central Alberta let alone crossed the Rockies into BC.

Wildlife managers know full well the primary concern is the transportation of out of province wildlife to BC.
    Numerous BC boys hunt AB and Sask every year with some driving back with their buck in the back.
    That is the conduit and area of concern to focus on.
    Keep the disease out.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Wildlife managers know full well the primary concern is the transportation of out of province wildlife to BC.
    Numerous BC boys hunt AB and Sask every year with some driving back with their buck in the back.
    That is the conduit and area of concern to focus on.
    Keep the disease out.
    Agree and support the restrictions in place on what can be brought back from those hunts. Hunters transporting CWD into BC is a bigger threat then baiting at this time
    Last edited by Wild one; 01-22-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    I have been giving this site the heads up for how long?
    This is why more States and provinces don't allow baiting anymore.

OH NO I SAID THE 'B' WORD!

I may get time in the box.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    Bud, show me a natural source that congregates deer like a truck bed full of carrots. There’s nothing that calorie dense in nature. If there was there would be no need to bait.
    Weird how Alberta does not allow baiting, yet it showed up there and is slowing spreading.....weird eh?

Up here in the ag zone, deer and elk feed where they can find food: cereal fields, hay bails, a salt lick or bag of grain...…

But once again, hunters forcing their own point of view on other because they "Know" what is best for ALL of us.....they should be fighting the anti's, but other hunters are a lot easier, especially behind a key board....

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I agree that ag has to step up its game too and is a much larger factor but how can we expect change from an industry and not lead by example??

Quote Originally Posted by Throwaway View Post
    I agree that ag has to step up its game too and is a much larger factor but how can we expect change from an industry and not lead by example??
    Industry will be a tough one to actually get on board when it comes to high risk situations.
    Do they stop feeding cattle in the winter.
    Do farmers fence all of their land with 8' ft barriers.
    Do clubs stop their winter feeding programs.

I see over 20 MD in a 1 acre orchard next door daily....deer shit under your shoe every step.

Key is do not allow mechanisms to be in play the will bring the disease here.