Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Re: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Are there any RP bio's on the board of any of the BC chapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are people’s thoughts on Y2Y? I’ve seen them through social media for a couple years and can’t decide what to think of them as far as hunting goes. A little digging on their website shows they claim to support ethical hunting and fishing as long as it’s fair chase... pretty vague statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Just curious what others think?
    The only hunting Y2Y supports is by Indigenous people.

Where politically expedient to obtain Parks status for lands, they may consent to allow reduced licenced hunting, for now.

You will NEVER find the Y2Y organization lobby for increasing hunting.

I would keep an eye on how BC BHA aligns themselves with the lobbying for new Parks.
    So far in Alberta, BHA has sided with Y2Y in creating more land that is off limits to hunting.

I am not trying to be negative & appreciate that some organisations like the BCWF have done some good but do not believe that the BCWF represents the interests of hunters or fisherman any more and is now just another environmental group.

A few questions for myself would be:-

Where do they stand on the Y2Y?

If they are a hunting & fishing organisation, exactly where do they stand on Firearms?

If they are not supporting firearms rights then why not since these go hand in hand with hunting?

Who is funding them & exactly what groups are they or their parent foundations affiliated with and do they have any involvement with the PEW Foundation?

Where do they stand on the Grizzly hunt?

Maybe a member of the group could post the operating mandate on here together with funding sources, I am sure this would be public information anyway but would just save prospective members from having to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    The only hunting Y2Y supports is by Indigenous people.

Where politically expedient to obtain Parks status for lands, they may consent to allow reduced licenced hunting, for now.

You will NEVER find the Y2Y organization lobby for increasing hunting.

I would keep an eye on how BC BHA aligns themselves with the lobbying for new Parks.
    So far in Alberta, BHA has sided with Y2Y in creating more land that is off limits to hunting.

This is something to take note of ^^^

For those considering giving support to the BHA do some research on what they have been involved in outside of BC.

Those who have been on this forum for any length of time knows what I think of the BCWF and I would become a life time BCWF members before I joined the BHA for one year

At this time the only BC organization I see positive from is the WSS

Whew - just checked in on this one... be careful what I ask for LOL.

Thanks to everyone who's posted. I'll do my best to reply to everyone's questions tonight. In the meantime, if there are any other burning question - let's get them up! Enjoy the sunshine, I know I will.

Also - so everyone knows, I'm not the end all be all of the BC BHA wisdom. I'm a relatively new Region 2 volunteer who leans in to help a conservation organization that aligns with my hunting ethos. I live in Squamish and hunt all over BC - I don't have intimate knowledge of each and every issue across our great province, so I'll be the first to let you know what I don't know.

^^ I flipped an email to the BC Provincial Co-chairs, and North American (Canadian) Board member. They'll be on to provide some background, direction and possibly answer questions.

Looking forward to getting a better idea of what BHA stands for. So many people want an organization that truly represents the resident hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    Looking forward to getting a better idea of what BHA stands for. So many people want an organization that truly represents the resident hunter.
    Another option is the WSSBC. The Hunter Heritage program is about educating non-hunters and promoting hunting. Its official public launch will be this spring.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Another option is the WSSBC. The Hunter Heritage program is about educating non-hunters and promoting hunting. Its official public launch will be this spring.
    But isn’t the wss mostly concerned with sheep?

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    WSSBC has stood out to me and hence my membership. I’m not a sheep hunter. I see them putting hunters and conservation first , without the need of seperating the two. They are doing good work.