Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Re: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Who is behind the highly organized smear campaign, and why are they doing it?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Mulehahn

I agree with your comments and do not believe the BCWF is for hunters anymore, from what I recall nothing was said about the grizzly hunt but in their own mission statement they say they support science based decisions so why so quiet. The only reason they have so many members is as previously stated forced by clubs for insurance.

I am sure that many on here would support a genuine hunter conservation group who also advocate for hunting & firearm rights but many like me are wary of organisations that don't seem to have clear policies on these items and therefore could in a heartbeat shift sides so to speak and fail to support them with some lame excuse like its not in our mandate.

In a previous post I asked some questions to BHA members on here regarding firearms issues, the grizzly hunt and most importantly the PEW foundation, which have not been answered!

These are legitimate questions and ultimately would help myself and I am sure other members decide if this is something that we wish to support.

I personally would not support any organisation that was affiliated with the PEW foundation or any of its subsidiaries in any way.

There are many people on here from many differing backgrounds and opposing sides of the political spectrum but for the most part we all share a love of hunting, fishing and the outdoors in general. I have said this before the issues that we are facing are not resident hunter, guide or first nations problems, they are all of our problems and we need to get together to form a powerful organisation to fight back and stop the greens/snowflakes destroying what we all cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Who is behind the highly organized smear campaign, and why are they doing it?
    x2. Why am i not hearing bad press for other groups ? seems only the bha taking heat.

Please enlighten us regarding the smear campaigns and lies so that we can undertake due diligence prior to committing to the organisation.

Thanks WH&H, I honestly appreciate the input. I am glad to read that the BC Chapter appears to have a high level of autonomy. Upon re-reading my earlier post it came across much more confrontational than I had intended. The mission statement is clearly something I believe that every hunter and fisher would support, and I hope to be able to make it out to one of these pub nights myself to form a better understanding and learn more, and hopefully join and support what could be a group that makes a huge difference in this province.

That being said, I am concerned by both your's and Gate's comments about organized smear campaigns. Perhaps I don't frequent the right forums or read the right articles but I don't see any coordinated attacks, just public statments made by the BHA themselves either in social media or towards State agencies. Everything I posted about the BHA is available to anyone with access to Google; something I would expect everyone to do before joining any organization. I am buoyed by the fact that the BCBHA is apparently allowed to operate independent of other Chapters and I hope you hold true to the commitments you listed (ie: OHV access where appropriate, commitment to hunting in dealing with Y2Y, etc)! Best of luck in the workshops!
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Personally I stand by my comments and don't care if they seem confrontational I simply asked questions that have not been answered.

Questions about firearms, sources of funding and the PEW foundation are legitimate and for some reason have been ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    I admire your attitude but disagree with it, and pemby's as well. The reason anti hunting organizations are successful is because the do have one goal and are united under a common umbrella, end hunting! PERIOD! Sure some may argue more on behalf of wolves while another may argue more on behalf of bears but no group will say go kill bears but leave the wolves alone or vice versa. The same cannot be said for many hunting groups.

To keep this some what on topic lets look at the BHA is a prime example. I do not know the goals of the BC Chapter (I work next Thursday but hope change that and get to meeting) but a quick google search will easily show that many chapters in the USA have lobbied heavily to ban ATVs; arguing for foot access only. That right there alienates a huge portion of hunters. I don't own a quad but would not join a group that argues for them to be banned. Just like I refused to join the ABA when I was in Alberta for their stance on crossbows.

I will gladly join and work hard for any group that tries to support and raise the awareness of hunting; but the second they do it at the expense of other hunters I will work equally hard against them! Only time will tell where the BC BHA falls, but if they follow the lead of some of their American counterparts then they are as good as antis in my opinion.

*as an aside: Pemby, I think you misunderstand the frustration that has developed towards the BCWF. You wrote "It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters.", let me fix it for you "It WAS an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters, Now it is an organization for the interests of "Conservation" by people who have no choice but to belong if they want to join a rifle range." The BCWF has, by their own admission, stated that they do not argue on behalf of hunters. Their only concern is Conservation. While this is admirable it leaves many wondering then what separates them from Rainforest or Sierra Club.
    I'm with you.
    I hate to see certain groups "alienated" as well, and would never support that either.
    It has to be an organization that stands for "all hunters".
    Some modifications to where atv hunters can go, or when bow is allowed before rifle, I am good with.
    After that, were "together" united.
    Not, this is the only way a hunter can be attitude.

And yes, in regards to Pemby, the anti's have one goal when it comes to hunting and hunters,
    and that is "ban hunting".
    It is "one initiative" that antis "all stand behind"!!
    Thus they are effective being united and getting things banned, ie, GBear.

Quote Originally Posted by WH&H View Post
    Update on BCBHA

MISSION:Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

We have made it clear to Y2Y that BCBHA will not support any initiative which alienates land from hunting and have yet to work with Y2Y on any issues in BC to date. A prime example of BCBHA’s leadership and collaboration was the successful Wildlife Management Roundtable held in Cranbrook in March of 2017.

The Alberta Chapter which launched in the spring of 2017 continues to do good work supporting hunters and anglers and is keeping hunting in the forefront of the debate on the Bighorn Wildland
    land-use process currently underway in Alberta.
    This highlights concerns of many hunters regarding BHA in Canada.

In Alberta, as I've previously mentioned, BHA has aligned their support with Y2Y in lobbying FOR alienating land from ALL hunting, including within the proposed Bighorn parks.

You say they have done good in this regard, despite stating that you oppose such efforts.

Can you not see the contradiction?

I'll bet on BHA BC finding themselves stuck between alienating Hunters or Y2Y within a couple of years. You can't have it both ways.

I recognize BHA as being young with the need to wander and learn.
    But I will still tell a kid to not pet the dirty cat in hopes they can avoid learning the hard way.

I've heard comments from friends about environmental organizations infiltrating "conservation" groups by donating large sums of money. With donations comes influence. Environmentalism is big business and doesn't include hunting. So when I see that a group that BHA accepted money from a group that also donated to the Tides Foundation I get suspicious.

I went down the Tides rabbit hole one day and it's not good, lots of anti money which has been used to stop hunting and influence elections..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA

Just wanted to say, from my stance:
    The WSS is a great society.
    I remember when the RH/GOABC fiasco was happening.
    I was one of the people asking "where the hell is BCWF" etc.
    I recall the WSS coming forth quickly, stating that their directive is about sheep, but they do align themselves with hunters, but they were unable to help/do much in that arena, but did do their best to
    show/communicate their displeasure with that whole situation.
    The BCWF was somewhat slower to respond publicly, imo.
    But in the end, they too had to admit the "shortcomings" of the Federation as they are a conservation group, not a hunters association, by definition and mandate.
    (yes, I did get some pm's from the higher ups of the bcwf at that time, and I appreciate them taking the time to, can we say "cool me down" a bit, lol)

Now seeing how the pipeline and the Anti's are influenced and financed by outside groups (even some who also are in the oil industry elsewhere and don't want competition), I am very skeptical of any "new group" starting up.
    We have some BCWF members her on this site.
    We can all see they are "pro hunting" big time.
    We can all take comfort in knowing that many of them share the same concerns as the rest of us.

But, we need something to "back us up (hunters)" going forward.
    Still think the best way is to have BCWF change their branding, and their mandate, and how they can operate differently as compared to how it is now.
    (don't ask me how that is actually achieved, but there has to be a way)
    If not, there will be something one day that will be an Association for hunters, and that will take away from
    BCWF membership....big time!! (especially if that new group can offer the "insurance factor" so many enjoy thru BCWF)
    And if no association is created, and there is no "real hunter support" network out there, we will find ourselves hunting less and less areas, if not banned outright one day.

If that happens, there will be no BCWF!, and I doubt a WSS either!
    Nor a GOABC!
    Maybe it's time to "knock heads together" here and everyone get there act together, pronto!!