Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Re: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    What about Safari Club International West Coast Chapter?
    https://www.onlinehuntingauctions.co...Chapter_ae2348
    Honest opinion I see some good but improvements in general organization is needed. I know some are great people and with some drive there is possibility

If hunters put effort into helping this grow it could go somewhere but they could use some strong active members

(might be getting a phone call over this one but being honest lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    I think some people are getting hung up on "what can (organization name) do for me?"

We should probably focus on " what can I do for (organization name) to help benefit (thing I'm passionate about)?

Anti hunting organizations aren't successful because they benefit the members, they are successful because they benefit the cause they are fighting for.

We can argue for hunting rights and gun laws all we like, but if there is NO animals or NO places to hunt what are you gonna do with all your guns and hunting rights.

Chris
    I totally agree with you, Chris!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    I totally agree with you, Chris!
    Of course you agree that is why you are a BHA member lol

Pemby_mess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

That being said though, it seems that there are just too many "difference of opinions" out there to actually
    make an organization like that actually work.
    Atleast from years of looking at all the threads just on here, we have are hard time staying "united"" anyways.
    Anti's seem to have "one goal", thus their focus is all the same.
    "Antis" don't have "one goal". What they do seem to be able to do well, is decide what their common goals tend to be, and work together toward those, despite differing opinions, and strategies within the common direction.

Hunters as a group appear to have problems accepting that someone who has even a slightly differing perspective, might be a useful ally. There is an erroneous assumption that if there is any disagreement anywhere, there must necessarily be disagreement everywhere.

This is most evident in all the shit talking about the BCWF. It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters. If it is not meeting the perceived needs of some hunters, I see little reason the people that feel that way can't get involved and strategize ways to serve that perceived need. If they're correct, they'll be affirmed by quantative results, showing increased membership and higher levels of grassroots funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Of course you agree that is why you are a BHA member lol
    Ha! You know what they say about great minds!
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by Greenthumbed View Post
    Ha! You know what they say about great minds!
    Even I agree with part of what was stated

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispryn View Post
    I think some people are getting hung up on "what can (organization name) do for me?"

We should probably focus on " what can I do for (organization name) to help benefit (thing I'm passionate about)?

Anti hunting organizations aren't successful because they benefit the members, they are successful because they benefit the cause they are fighting for.

We can argue for hunting rights and gun laws all we like, but if there is NO animals or NO places to hunt what are you gonna do with all your guns and hunting rights.

Chris

I admire your attitude but disagree with it, and pemby's as well. The reason anti hunting organizations are successful is because the do have one goal and are united under a common umbrella, end hunting! PERIOD! Sure some may argue more on behalf of wolves while another may argue more on behalf of bears but no group will say go kill bears but leave the wolves alone or vice versa. The same cannot be said for many hunting groups.

To keep this some what on topic lets look at the BHA is a prime example. I do not know the goals of the BC Chapter (I work next Thursday but hope change that and get to meeting) but a quick google search will easily show that many chapters in the USA have lobbied heavily to ban ATVs; arguing for foot access only. That right there alienates a huge portion of hunters. I don't own a quad but would not join a group that argues for them to be banned. Just like I refused to join the ABA when I was in Alberta for their stance on crossbows.

I will gladly join and work hard for any group that tries to support and raise the awareness of hunting; but the second they do it at the expense of other hunters I will work equally hard against them! Only time will tell where the BC BHA falls, but if they follow the lead of some of their American counterparts then they are as good as antis in my opinion.

*as an aside: Pemby, I think you misunderstand the frustration that has developed towards the BCWF. You wrote "It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters.", let me fix it for you "It WAS an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters, Now it is an organization for the interests of "Conservation" by people who have no choice but to belong if they want to join a rifle range." The BCWF has, by their own admission, stated that they do not argue on behalf of hunters. Their only concern is Conservation. While this is admirable it leaves many wondering then what separates them from Rainforest or Sierra Club.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    I admire your attitude but disagree with it, and pemby's as well. The reason anti hunting organizations are successful is because the do have one goal and are united under a common umbrella, end hunting! PERIOD! Sure some may argue more on behalf of wolves while another may argue more on behalf of bears but no group will say go kill bears but leave the wolves alone or vice versa. The same cannot be said for many hunting groups.

To keep this some what on topic lets look at the BHA is a prime example. I do not know the goals of the BC Chapter (I work next Thursday but hope change that and get to meeting) but a quick google search will easily show that many chapters in the USA have lobbied heavily to ban ATVs; arguing for foot access only. That right there alienates a huge portion of hunters. I don't own a quad but would not join a group that argues for them to be banned. Just like I refused to join the ABA when I was in Alberta for their stance on crossbows.

I will gladly join and work hard for any group that tries to support and raise the awareness of hunting; but the second they do it at the expense of other hunters I will work equally hard against them! Only time will tell where the BC BHA falls, but if they follow the lead of some of their American counterparts then they are as good as antis in my opinion.

*as an aside: Pemby, I think you misunderstand the frustration that has developed towards the BCWF. You wrote "It is an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters.", let me fix it for you "It WAS an organization for the interests of hunters, by hunters, Now it is an organization for the interests of "Conservation" by people who have no choice but to belong if they want to join a rifle range." The BCWF has, by their own admission, stated that they do not argue on behalf of hunters. Their only concern is Conservation. While this is admirable it leaves many wondering then what separates them from Rainforest or Sierra Club.

This sounds about right

Update on BCBHA

MISSION:Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of our wild public lands, waters and wildlife.

The British Columbia Chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers (BCBHA) is the first international chapter of BHA and was established in the spring of 2014. BCBHA has full autonomy over our issues and finances and every dollar raised in BC stays in BC to be spent on BC issues. Like most US based conservation organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Trout, Pheasants, Turkey, SCI, WSF, etc. that have affiliations, chapters and associations in Canada, the vision is continental but the focus is local. All supporting the North American Conservation Model which has no boundary. Members in BC embraced the values and message of BHA and felt it would be a good fit to compliment the hard work of the existing legacy organizations in BC. BCBHA looks to collaborate with groups on common initiatives, even though we might not agree 100% on everything they do, and vis-a-versa, we can work together on our common interests, like wildlife and habitat. The same applies for working with the BCWF, WSSBC, or Y2Y. We have made it clear to Y2Y that BCBHA will not support any initiative which alienates land from hunting and have yet to work with Y2Y on any issues in BC to date. A prime example of BCBHA’s leadership and collaboration was the successful Wildlife Management Roundtable held in Cranbrook in March of 2017.
    The Alberta Chapter which launched in the spring of 2017 continues to do good work supporting hunters and anglers and is keeping hunting in the forefront of the debate on the Bighorn Wildland
    land-use process currently underway in Alberta.

BHA is the fastest growing conservation organization in North America with chapters in 29 States and 2 provinces with 11 more chapters in the works including Yukon. BHA's membership just surpassed 30,000 members. This is incredible growth for an organization which has been able to double its membership every year for the past 4 years. The values of BHA definitely resonates with hunters and anglers across North America as the quality of wildlife and habitat and associated experiences continues to degrade. The growth of the BC chapter has mirrored the growth of the organization. Any organization that stands up for wild public lands has a target on it's back and attracts attention. Highly organized smear campaigns and rhetoric have done nothing to detract from BHA's values nor have they affected BHA's growth. They are obviously not having an effect on BHA's progress.

BCBHA began its operation in the East Kootenay and now has committees in the West Kootenay, a very active and growing committee in the Lower Mainland, a committee in central BC and is gaining traction in the North East. We are looking for regional representation in every region of the province to represent local issues. We held a series of pint nights in 2018 to grow our influence and are looking for interested members to step up and get involved in their area. Stay tuned to our channels for upcoming events and activities as we grow.

BCBHA supports sound, science based wildlife and habitat management and opposed in writing the ban on the grizzly hunt. We support responsible OHV use where it is appropriate. We are engaged in the provincial Improving Wildlife Management and Habitat Conservation initiative and our position submitted during the public engagement portion of this process is on the public record through the Engage BC website. BCBHA is represented on the stakeholder committee and will be attending the upcoming January workshops in Vancouver.

We are not going to engage in any of the typical rumours around BCBHA or BHA in general, because if you want to get involved and learn more about the good work we are doing, please reach out. If you enjoy hunting and angling in a natural setting, on public land, then BHA is the organization for you. Please pm me if you would like more information on how to get involved or follow us on social media to stay in touch.

Thank you to everyone who keeps up the good fight for our wild backcountry in BC, despite our differences.
    [SIZE=3]

To connect with BC BHA on social media: [/B]

Careful. Advertising with links to buy products and membership you need to be a site sponsor. I will let the rest of the post stay.
    Elkhound
    Last edited by Elkhound; 01-23-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Pretty much sums it up right there... Thanks WH&H.

M