Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

Re: Bc backcountry hunter angler assoc.

I've been a BC BHA member for about 3 years. I reside in Cranbrook and I attend most of the meetings. I also sit on the KWC (Kootenay Wildlife Coalition) with members of BC BHA, BCWF, SE Guides, BCTA. I've known many of the members there for a number of years. They recently held a full day strategic workshop and an evening of story telling, which was a room full of success. They streamed live on fb. The membership is new in R2, but growing quickly. I'm not a director and not a person in a position of authority to answer questions or speak to their policies. They are, developing a voice within BC, with Government, with other organizations. It's a good, active group of great like-minded people. While I might not agree entirely with all of their policies (only because I haven't taken the time to assess them) , I do align to most of them. I wouldn't want anyone to be passing judgement on them too quickly.

If you care about fish and wildlife and wild places then BHA is for you. BHA is the fastest growing conservation organization in North America. I'm a member of BHA.
    "A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers, but borrowed from his children." John James Audubon

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    I've asked a lot of questions and always seem to get dodgy answers.
    Hard to get black and white answers from "official" people in my experience.
    Particularly surrounding motorized access and the BHA supporting the Y2Y initiative.
    Hi TexasWalker. Hit me up. What's your question(s)?

I'll do my best answer it (them) in a clear and concise fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-r View Post
    "We're not anti quad or anti horse or anti anything. We're pro habitat and pro wildlife. I will say one thing though - gun legislation is not on our agenda and won't be."

where does BHA stand on protecting Hunting and Fishing rights?
    From what I have seen their Mission Statement has been torn from the BCWF play book. We don't nee another conservation group, we need a Hunter/Angler group. And to support hunters they need to support firearms rights. The above statement sums t up for me. 1 BCWF is enough IMHO
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 01-22-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Wasn’t I reading somewhere the other day that the parent group is the states has some loose ties to a some anti gun groups. I think it was in an article about meat eaters new honchos

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    From what I have seen their Mission Statement has been torn from the BCWF play book. We don't nee another conservation group, we need a Hunter/Angler group. And to support hunters they need to support firearms rights. The above statement sums t up for me. 1 BCWF is enough IMHO
    I'm not a member of BHA but am of BCWF and when I read comments like this I'm curious how a new hunter angler group will present itself to the general population at large that are not hunters. Will there not be a conservation component to any new group? If you're only going to argue and campaign for hunting without mentioning conservation I don't think the message will be well received. What will this new new group offer in this regard and how will conservation plans be funded? Just really think that any group of hunters that can't show how they are supporting conservation won't get far. By the way before some one jumps on this I know there are individuals and organizations that don't belong to BHA or BCWF that do good work. My point is that if you are concerned about conservation there will come a time where some members will demand you take a stance because for conservation concerns that they see affects their particular area or style of hunting, and when you don't, well we've seen what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by markathome View Post
    Hi TexasWalker. Hit me up. What's your question(s)?

I'll do my best answer it (them) in a clear and concise fashion.
    Does BHA support Y2Y?

I have been looking into this for a while and find so much info on the pluses and minus of this group in the states that I just cannot get involved. And now I hear some negatives in Alberta and access to the backcountry. Of course you have to take everything on the WWW with a grain of salt, but there seems to be a repeating trend

http://www.americanlandscouncil.org/backcountry_hunters_anglers_reveals_thier_radical_ side

https://www.activistfacts.com/organizations/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

https://www.influencewatch.org/non-profit/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

https://www.greendecoys.com/decoys/backcountry-hunters-and-anglers/

There is no chapter in the NE and I wonder why? How about Central BC?

Is the BC chapters attached to the US chapters or are they stand alone group?
    What are BHA views on the Grizzly Hunt? Trophy Hunting? Use of crossbows in archery season? Lots of "hunter and Hunting" related questions that I cannot find answers to for BC only.

Do we really need another conservation group in BC? We have the BCWF, Wild sheep society of BC and now BHA. Can they all work together or will there be another divide and we will end up fighting over the smaller piece of pie....and the limited funds hunters and anglers have?

Not bad mouthing the BHA, just curious as to where they truly stand in BC and do they get their marching orders from the US?

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    Does BHA support Y2Y?
    Just out of curiosity, what are people’s thoughts on Y2Y? I’ve seen them through social media for a couple years and can’t decide what to think of them as far as hunting goes. A little digging on their website shows they claim to support ethical hunting and fishing as long as it’s fair chase... pretty vague statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Just curious what others think?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are people’s thoughts on Y2Y? I’ve seen them through social media for a couple years and can’t decide what to think of them as far as hunting goes. A little digging on their website shows they claim to support ethical hunting and fishing as long as it’s fair chase... pretty vague statement that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Just curious what others think?
    A lot of good reading/conversation/debate on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum regarding Y2Y. Rob Miskosky has written a few articles/editorials about them as well. Several threads on the board though about them if you want to do a bit more reading.