Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring bear back from taxidermist

Spring bear back from taxidermist

Well, I'm in the poor house now but it was worth it. Picked up my 2018 spring bear from Black Powder Tannery yesterday, they did a great job! Never did stretch him out after skinning him so it takes up quite a bit more room than I originally thought but that's perfectly fine with me

Spent this morning putting together a red cedar mount to hang him on, pretty happy with how it turned out. His skull is still degreasing but has a spot on the desk waiting for it when it's all done. Super glad they were able to do such a good job preserving his scars, I'll be posting a video in the near future showing some of the fine details, nothing does it justice like seeing it in person though.

One disappointment is that most of his chest blaze got trimmed away, I probably should have made it clear that i would prefer that staying as opposed to a perfect shape but I'm still new to the whole trophy game and I'm sure my rookie skinning job was no walk in the park to work around. Either way I highly recommend them for any work you need done and I'm happy I could preserve this bear in such a beautiful way, the meat was delicious but it's pretty much gone already...can't think of a better way to remember my first big game harvest, hopefully it marks the beginning of a long and successful lifetime of bowhunting.

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring bear back from taxidermist

"You can learn more about hunting with a bow in a week than you could in a lifetime of gun hunting" - Fred Bear

Looks cool !
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Prince Rupert Again, Formerly Fort Nelson

Looks great! Love the blood still on the bolt.
    "Dy'in ain't much of a livin' boy"

"There is NO Keyser Soze"!!!!!!

"Do cow moose have white inside their ears"?!!!!!

Looks awesome. Great idea. Nasty little scar on his face

What did that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Looks awesome. Great idea. Nasty little scar on his face
    3 good scars under his left eye, another one under his right eye and another older one on the right side of his muzzle. Oddly enough none on the top of his head or left side of his muzzle, he had claw marks on the top of his skull and left side of his lower jaw...also found some birdshot in the meat. No easy meals out there!

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    What did that cost?
    About 1800, I did consider selling my son into child labor as a hide flesher for a year...all jokes aside though I'm happy I spent the money and I'm certainly not swimming in cash these days. I'm sure a lot of guys regret not getting their first animal mounted especially after they go a couple years eating tag soup, just trying not to think of all the other ways I could have spent that money lol

That looks awesome and for a first a great way to preserve the memories for a lifetime and them some.

Looks great !
    Arctic Lake

looks great, I like the arrow
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004