Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Turkey 2019I wanted to start a three for this

Re: Spring Turkey 2019I wanted to start a three for this

I headed to turkey country Sat April 13. 7hr drive from LM. Setup my 73 Boler for the basecamp. Got out that evening for some scouting. I found a group of 6 elk, 5 whitetails and 6 turkeys 3 of which were big toms. Next day I went back to the same area to try and see where these toms would roost and they busted me, so I left the area to cool off and come back the next day on opening morning. Opening morning I made some rookie mistakes, but learned a lot about public land pressured turkeys. So many hunters road hunting opening day I didn’t see any life. Next day went back to that spot, got out of the truck and all I heard was gobbling. Made my way down and busted again. Damn eye sight is phenomenal. This was early morning (6:30am?) so I hung out in the bush a bit to see if anything came by...nothing. Bounced at noon and went to a new area on the other side of where I was staying. Came across two groups of turkeys hiking around the roads, no shots. Driving along slowly heard multiple gobbles. Pulled over and listened. Had to be 3+ toms and a bunch of hens up this hill of new growth. Climbed in a bit and let out some hen calls, instant gobbles. Play that game a while but I can tell they aren’t coming my way. Decide to try and sneak in, one busts me as I get close and flies a km through the valley and lands at the top of a huge pine. Try to get closer and another one flies over me. Next morning go back to original spot but only see 2 hens and some whitetails. Left around noon and headed back to the spot the two gobblers launched over top of me. Sat for 10mins listening and watching and here comes a single file line with this big Tom in 2nd position. I line up thru thick brush from 30yrds thru the most open spot I see. When he walks into my sight I take his head off. Plucked, gutted and filleted. Made the turkey pozole from the meat eater cookbook yesterday and tomorrow is braised stuffed turkey breasts! Happy hunting!

Congratulations on the success! Sounds like you learned a bit and were able to put it all together to make it happen.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Congratz ... turkeys are near impossible to sneak in on . Best to set up at dark if you know the roost tree. Then stay put and call. If a gobbler is without a hen , They will likely come a certain distance then see if the calling hen will come to them . You then hope he is lonely enough to come within shotgun range or bow range .
    Glad you got one . They are great eating . Last one I had I smoked and then made a huge batch of turkey soup .
    I hope their numbers keep increasing . They are not actively managed unfortunately .

Anyone going out this weekend or want to help a not new to turkey hunting but new to turkey hunting in Canada person out. I got my Grand Slam this year... got my Osceola in Florida back in March, and just shot the Washington Slam (Merriam, Rio, and Eastern) last week... had some extra time and with my wife visiting our family near Oregon I even successfully harvested a bird down there... That's five birds this spring. Been blessed. Got the OK to go hunting BC this weekend, admittedly plan to even hunt Idaho if the stars continue to align. Will be out Saturday through Tuesday. Thanks in advance!

If I could figure out how to get the pictures to upload I'd share a few! Keep getting upload fail....

Success! Get to my first spot, literally first spot at 9am after crossing back to Canada that morning. Park the truck and get out. Let out some yelps on the diaphragm and boom bird fires off 500 yds + up the way. We'll say at my 3. Now I didn’t have my camo top on, gun unlocked, decoys ready nothing. Get the ammo out of the lock box in the tailgate, gun unlocked and loaded, vest put together, just hoping that bird wasn't hot and going to pop up with my willy in my hand. Scamper across the road into some trees and yelp some more. 200yds at 11 oclock, bird gobbles back. OK, OK, wait, yelp, 250 yds 10 o clock. Go, move into the clearing 80 yds and stab my strutter and hen. Yelp, 150 yds 9 o clock... original bird 300 yds 2 oclock. I’m pinned. Literally back up 5 yds from my decoys and hide against a pitiful 4 foot by 1 foot stump/burned tree. Bird on my left head pops up through the trees at 100yds and he's making an arc. Couple yelps, gobble, cool, he sees my setup. Casually works all the way back to 1 o clock and 60 yds away. My gun is on the ground. Its open...he goes into a strut and walks right towards me. Gobble from him, gobble from second bird 150 yds behind him. This is too cool. He struts all the way up to my hen and dances 5 yds away from me. I know he can see me, I'm almost in the open, but I am a statue. 5 min maybe longer just in front of me (crossed my mind to try to jump on him, jk) every time he spit drums I can see his whole body shake, head changing colors, absolutely incredible. He backs from the hen and goes to strut on my stutter. Steps behind strutter, I lift my gun, bang, bird down, second bird gobbles behind some trees less than 100 yds away. Too fun and too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by avidnwoutdoorsman View Post

Success! Get to my first spot, literally first spot at 9am after crossing back to Canada that morning. Park the truck and get out. Let out some yelps on the diaphragm and boom bird fires off 500 yds + up the way. We'll say at my 3. Now I didn’t have my camo top on, gun unlocked, decoys ready nothing. Get the ammo out of the lock box in the tailgate, gun unlocked and loaded, vest put together, just hoping that bird wasn't hot and going to pop up with my willy in my hand. Scamper across the road into some trees and yelp some more. 200yds at 11 oclock, bird gobbles back. OK, OK, wait, yelp, 250 yds 10 o clock. Go, move into the clearing 80 yds and stab my strutter and hen. Yelp, 150 yds 9 o clock... original bird 300 yds 2 oclock. I’m pinned. Literally back up 5 yds from my decoys and hide against a pitiful 4 foot by 1 foot stump/burned tree. Bird on my left head pops up through the trees at 100yds and he's making an arc. Couple yelps, gobble, cool, he sees my setup. Casually works all the way back to 1 o clock and 60 yds away. My gun is on the ground. Its open...he goes into a strut and walks right towards me. Gobble from him, gobble from second bird 150 yds behind him. This is too cool. He struts all the way up to my hen and dances 5 yds away from me. I know he can see me, I'm almost in the open, but I am a statue. 5 min maybe longer just in front of me (crossed my mind to try to jump on him, jk) every time he spit drums I can see his whole body shake, head changing colors, absolutely incredible. He backs from the hen and goes to strut on my stutter. Steps behind strutter, I lift my gun, bang, bird down, second bird gobbles behind some trees less than 100 yds away. Too fun and too fast.
    Next year we have to get out together for a hunt and hopefully I will be able to join you down in Washington to try for some of the other sub-species. You my friend are a turkey slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    Thats an odd colour turkey. What did the spurs look like?
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darksith View Post
    Thats an odd colour turkey. What did the spurs look like?
    I took photos but unsuccessful at uploading them to this site. They were nubs about the size of my thumbnail. Good sized beard and large snood.

Attached Images Attached Images  

opening day we both tagged out
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member