Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Turkey 2019I wanted to start a three for this

Spring Turkey 2019

This will be my first year out hunting turkeys and I’ve read so many posts on here and watched YouTube videos, meat eater on Netflix and Wild TV.

Last year was my first year hunting but I started late and missed the spring turkey season. I did manage to harvest: 1 blacktail, 1 grouse and 3 ducks.

I plan to get out in March and early April to scout various areas from Rock Creek to Beaverdell and through Kettle valley and Christian Valley.

Ive got my decoys, 12 gauge, turkey shot and choke. I’ve been practising calling on reeds, box calls and slates. I’ve also got my crow and owl calls for locating.

Get out early mornings, scout and locate. Then either jump shoot, stalk or setup decoys and call them in. I am totally open to any advice that experienced turkey hunters want to share.

Best shot to use, call brands, when to use specific calls, weather impacts, early season tequniques versus late season etc etc any advice is good advice even if just personal preference.

if anyone had any interest in taking out a newbie for a day or two from April 15-21 I would be interested. PM me and let’s chat.

Also, I wanted to start a thread of this year for everyone to discuss the season and share hunting experiences but I bet this is way too early...I’m just eager to go chase some gobblers!!
    Last edited by Bubbacanuck; 02-12-2019 at 09:41 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Spring Turkey 2019I wanted to start a three for this

Hey Bubbacanuck Keep posted on how you do, I’m trying to get out in April as well
    this would be a first turkey hunt for me also.

Based on my experience:
    Early mornings are good for locating, but evenings are better. If you can locate a gobbler either by sight or sound as he heads to roost you can set up in his wheelhouse before first light and have a good shot (pun intended) at getting him. Most times they will gobble from the roost on their own before flying down.

Best shot? Whatever your gun patterns best, they are all different.

Call brand? Not important. Your ability to use it is more key - watch instructional videos, practice, and the best thing is actually listening to real turkeys. Every spring a few weeks before the season I put my diaphragm calls in my truck and practice calling as I drive, to get back into form.

Weather impacts? They seem to gobble more on clear high pressure days, in nasty rain they are less vocal in my experience. But they will also hang out in the open more to use their eyesight defence, as hearing is tougher for them. Last year my son and I watched 6 birds for hours out in the open, first while it poured rain, and then as they dried themselves out in the sunshine. We just waited for them to make a mistake, patience paid off after about 4 hours of laying still in the grass.

Get at out there, have fun, and learn.
    Twist and pull.

I will be out for 10 days maximum for turkeys (also have my bear tag in case). I will update as I go, as this is my first season for these two species.

Starting near Rock Creek I will make my way around Christian Valley/Kettle river headed east until I find gobblers or hit the AB border.

Weather seems to be good so I'm hopefully it will be a successful hunt.

Photos and stories to follow, no matter if I am successful or not.

Still open to joining others on a day hunt at any point if it works out

10 days for turkeys! Can't say Im not jealous. I will be out for 3...only need 1 haha, first time too
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

I had a couple conversations with people that work the area's and not giving anything specific away the Creston Area has a good population and the Castlegar area has a really good population. For first timers in the area, find some public land, get out early and have fun!

It will be my first turkey season as well...heading up to Nelson area to go out with a buddy. Going to try a combo of crossbow/rifle!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD738116-9FFC-4EBD-958D-955BF9AE0CE2.jpg 
Views:	1200 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	7381  

Congrats Bubba!

I hope I can get out there soon, will be 1st turkey hunt as well. Cheers!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Looks like a nice Tom, congrats!
    Ant story to go with the photo?
    Twist and pull.