Re: Spring Turkey 2019I wanted to start a three for this

Very cool! Didn’t know we had that good of turkey hunting haha

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Tam Slam View Post
    Very cool! Didn’t know we had that good of turkey hunting haha
    SSSHHHHH its a nice secret despite us posting here

New guy here,first post.
    I don't know much about huntin' turkeys,just what I have seen on a few utube videos.
    I am impressed with the turkeys you guys got,congrats.
    For my first turkey hunt I drove down to Grand Forks.Stayed at a friends place that just moved there.He was busy fixing his place up so I hunted on my own.
    I was lucky and saw two turkeys on my first day out in the afternoon.Next day in the afternoon I was in this burn from last year walking around where it was getting green.Saw two more turkeys and the hen saw me and scooted away.Never could find them.Next late afternoon I went back in the burn and found a place I could sit down and watch the green area in the burn.I could see about a hundred yards in some of the open areas.It was real noisy walking as everything was dry and black.
    About 20 minutes went by so I scratch my homemade slate turkey call with a piece of birch dowel a few times.Never done this before.About a half hour goes by and I see nothing in front of me where I figured a turkey might come in where it is green grassy like and moss because there was some water seepage.I think I hear some kind of turkey noises behind me.Kinda soft calls.I turn my head to look behind me and here comes a hen.Wow,this is cool.Holy,another one then this big ole tom.I could hear him fan out his feathers he was so close.His head was pretty white on top with all these neat colours going down his neck and a beard pretty near dragging on the ground.He jumps up on a burnt log and struts along it following the two hens with his wing tips stick out and tail all spread out too.This is the first time I have seen this.I have a .22mag resting on this rock in front of me.The turkeys are less than 25 yards behind me.As the turkeys go behind some burnt fir trees I turn my head and reach for my rifle.The turkeys walk along picking at bugs and seeds or whatever they are eating and go behind this big rock.Now with my gun in my hands I turn around to try and get a shot.I never saw them again.I think one of the hens must of seen me move.That was lots of fun anyways.
    The next day I saw 3 fly over me and disappear.
    No turkey for me this Spring.They are very wary birds.

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    New guy here,first post.
    I don't know much about huntin' turkeys,just what I have seen on a few utube videos.
    I am impressed with the turkeys you guys got,congrats.
    For my first turkey hunt I drove down to Grand Forks.Stayed at a friends place that just moved there.He was busy fixing his place up so I hunted on my own.
    I was lucky and saw two turkeys on my first day out in the afternoon.Next day in the afternoon I was in this burn from last year walking around where it was getting green.Saw two more turkeys and the hen saw me and scooted away.Never could find them.Next late afternoon I went back in the burn and found a place I could sit down and watch the green area in the burn.I could see about a hundred yards in some of the open areas.It was real noisy walking as everything was dry and black.
    About 20 minutes went by so I scratch my homemade slate turkey call with a piece of birch dowel a few times.Never done this before.About a half hour goes by and I see nothing in front of me where I figured a turkey might come in where it is green grassy like and moss because there was some water seepage.I think I hear some kind of turkey noises behind me.Kinda soft calls.I turn my head to look behind me and here comes a hen.Wow,this is cool.Holy,another one then this big ole tom.I could hear him fan out his feathers he was so close.His head was pretty white on top with all these neat colours going down his neck and a beard pretty near dragging on the ground.He jumps up on a burnt log and struts along it following the two hens with his wing tips stick out and tail all spread out too.This is the first time I have seen this.I have a .22mag resting on this rock in front of me.The turkeys are less than 25 yards behind me.As the turkeys go behind some burnt fir trees I turn my head and reach for my rifle.The turkeys walk along picking at bugs and seeds or whatever they are eating and go behind this big rock.Now with my gun in my hands I turn around to try and get a shot.I never saw them again.I think one of the hens must of seen me move.That was lots of fun anyways.
    The next day I saw 3 fly over me and disappear.
    No turkey for me this Spring.They are very wary birds.
    Their eye sight is unbelievable and they will pick up the slightest movement. Sounds like a great experience otherwise and you have a good spot to go back to!

These forums are a great read.

Anyone in Creston area getting out tomorrow that wants company? Up from the coast for a memorial Wednesday. Love to catch the second last day of hunt and maybe Wednesday morning too. Or if anyone cares to share a decent area to scout since days are few to harvest one themselves?