Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ministry Mismanagement at its best

Re: Ministry Mismanagement at its best

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Help if we actually had a sufficient budget and funding.
    Gobermint will never have sufficient budget and funding because that is always mismanaged as well!

Main reason I see is the amount of logging and logging roads in old growth habitats. Lack of shelter/food. Now my experiences are mostly down south here up on the Kootenay pass. But I’m sure it’s the same everywhere.
    And a wolf on a logging road can cover about 12km/hr just loping along.

Quote Originally Posted by sizedoes matter View Post
    Main reason I see is the amount of logging and logging roads in old growth habitats. Lack of shelter/food. Now my experiences are mostly down south here up on the Kootenay pass. But I’m sure it’s the same everywhere.
    And a wolf on a logging road can cover about 12km/hr just loping along.
    The logging roads did not kill the caribou. Wolves that used these logging road did.

The reduction of old trees and lichen did not kill the caribou.
    Caribou can prosper just fine without "old growth".

It was predation by wolves, bears and cats that killed these caribou.

If the politicians didn't stop wildlife managers from sufficiently reducing predator populations, these caribou would still exist.

I realize the roads didn’t kill the caribou, I was saying the roads aid the wolves cover more ground easily. And as for the reduction of the old growth , I think it did play a big roll in their extinction. Lack of food and shelter really weakens an animal to the point they become easy prey.

Quote Originally Posted by sizedoes matter View Post
    I realize the roads didn’t kill the caribou, I was saying the roads aid the wolves cover more ground easily. And as for the reduction of the old growth , I think it did play a big roll in their extinction. Lack of food and shelter really weakens an animal to the point they become easy prey.
    There is no lack of food or shelter. There was a change (logging) that allowed moose/deer to move into caribou habitat and that brought the wolves.

∆∆bingo........

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    The logging roads did not kill the caribou. Wolves that used these logging road did.

The reduction of old trees and lichen did not kill the caribou.
    Caribou can prosper just fine without "old growth".

It was predation by wolves, bears and cats that killed these caribou.

If the politicians didn't stop wildlife managers from sufficiently reducing predator populations, these caribou would still exist.
    Funny how the some of the people actually involved in this say different and also how harvest methods were increased in that area on some predators, not stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    There is no lack of food or shelter. There was a change (logging) that allowed moose/deer to move into caribou habitat and that brought the wolves.
    So then the main problem was human caused.

Lol. If you think there were no moose elk or deer on the Kootenay pass years back you’re fooling yourself. Big mulies and quite a few shiras kicking around. When the highway first opened in 1963 the animals up there were incredible

im only saying what I’ve seen over the last 50 years up there. There is no one reason for what happened just like there is no one cure.

Quote Originally Posted by MattB View Post
    caribou were declining long before their was enough logging to bring in the moose .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .