Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Large Cutting Boards for butchering

Re: Large Cutting Boards for butchering

There is also a budget restaurant supply place on highway 10 in Langley. I got my large cutting boards there. They have lots of great stuff for the food-minded.

My mother in law bought me a huge one from cabelas a few years back. Works great and cleans up great. Was expensive though, like $189? she left the price tag on it, i think she did it on purpose

Most plastics suppliers (Redwood Plastics, Northern Plastics etc) should be able to get you one in any size or thickness you want.

It should be something along the lines of "Food grade UHMW".

You might be tempted to go thicker rather than thinner, but get a price first. UHMW is expensive! (Last order of solid round ran me between $6-$8/lb, and its deceptively heavy too).

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    Puck board/ rink board is cheap - 4x8 sheets. RONA shows it at $ 77 online.
    Oh wow THAT is what I was looking for, pays to know what to call it Thanks a bunch I will check it out tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    There is also a budget restaurant supply place on highway 10 in Langley. I got my large cutting boards there. They have lots of great stuff for the food-minded.
    Do you happen to know the name?

I got one several years ago that works great. 24x48 Rapala cutting board - about 3/8 thick with a handle already cut.
    i take it with me when i go on hunting trips and use for everything.

Google this - shows $75 + $15 for shipping through Amazon.com- don't know if CDN or USD but looks like its close to what i bought mine for. its a big item for shipping, $15 is cheap.
    Rapala Pro Series Board 24x48

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Plywood. Bleach, cut meat, repeat.
    tests show that wood cutting boards are more sanitary than plastic do to natural bacteria killers in the wood. I believe that was on marketplace or Mith Buster's I can't remember.
    This is correct. Wood cutting boards are Much more sanitary than plastic.

Lots of solid wood top tables being sold cheap or thrown away. Sand off the varnish and you're good to go. Cut to size or use the whole table.

I don’t believe for a moment wood carries less bacteria than plastic if cleaned properly, think about it wood is way more porous than plastic!
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Plywood. Bleach, cut meat, repeat.
    tests show that wood cutting boards are more sanitary than plastic do to natural bacteria killers in the wood. I believe that was on marketplace or Mith Buster's I can't remember.
    I use a wood board as well for butchering. Cleans fine and I find it easier to cut on. Plastic boards get gnarly after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lip_ripper00 View Post
    I don’t believe for a moment wood carries less bacteria than plastic if cleaned properly, think about it wood is way more porous than plastic!
    Do a little research.

Wood has been declared the best (safest) by science.

I won't recommend plywood, use solid hardwood.