Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Short getaway looking for yotes

Re: Short getaway looking for yotes

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    We had many going bonkers right in the area, would come to the edge of where we would be able to crack a shot and they would just know it and not come any further. Certainly much smarter than I initially figured-Makes it that much more fun though.
    They get to their doorway. No need to enter the room when they can see what's going on from afar. As hunters, we tend to set up where it best suits us. Long shooting lanes, good vantage points. I think it can work against you. Set up within your comfortable shooting range from timbered patches where a coyote will likely emerge from. Maybe have the call, or caller, tucked into a unseen hole so anything that wants to come for a look has to cover some ground to get to a better spot. Some coyotes slink in, some charge in, some hang up. Switching to pup distress can often work really well when dogs hang up at a distance on a prey distress sound. They're hard wired to be territorial and to climb the totem pole, and if they hear a coyote getting whipped I think they drop their guard a bit and want some of that action.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Lessons were certainly learned by both sides on this one. Will be better prepared the next go around.
    You'll learn something every-time! That's part of the fun.

Good luck in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    They get to their doorway. No need to enter the room when they can see what's going on from afar. As hunters, we tend to set up where it best suits us. Long shooting lanes, good vantage points. I think it can work against you. Set up within your comfortable shooting range from timbered patches where a coyote will likely emerge from. Maybe have the call, or caller, tucked into a unseen hole so anything that wants to come for a look has to cover some ground to get to a better spot. Some coyotes slink in, some charge in, some hang up. Switching to pup distress can often work really well when dogs hang up at a distance on a prey distress sound. They're hard wired to be territorial and to climb the totem pole, and if they hear a coyote getting whipped I think they drop their guard a bit and want some of that action.

Thanks, this is much appreciated advice!

Great pics thanks!

Nice pics looks like a good time..