Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gut hook knife

Re: Gut hook knife

I have the outdoor edge razor pro and it is great. However, when we were at Bass Pro earlier this year they didn't have any and the clerk advised that they have been banned in Canada due to some people cutting their fingers on the razor kknife blade. Not sure if that is true or not but haven't seen them at Cabelas or Bass Pro recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Citori54 View Post
    I have the outdoor edge razor pro and it is great. However, when we were at Bass Pro earlier this year they didn't have any and the clerk advised that they have been banned in Canada due to some people cutting their fingers on the razor kknife blade. Not sure if that is true or not but haven't seen them at Cabelas or Bass Pro recently.

I really hope thats that’s not the case. Banning knives because they’re sharp......... might have to ban gravity cause falling down hurts

another vote for swingblade here. like butter, only knife i will ever use by choice for gutting an animal.

X2 on the outdoor edge swing blade. [The fixed blade model not the replaceable razor] I've had a lot of knives over the years and in my opinion the swing blade is the best gutting, skinning knife you can buy. For the price. Everyone who has watched me use it has gone out and purchased one. The steel is medium soft so with a good sharpening steel you can get the blade's very sharp!!!.I've gutted several deer at a time with just a lite touch up in between. I highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    As far as gut hooks go you can't beat the Swingblade.
    I've used a bunch of different ones over the years.
    Swingblade opens hides like a hot knife through butter.
    Watch a few YouTube videos and you'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by FortBoy View Post
    another vote for swingblade here. like butter, only knife i will ever use by choice for gutting an animal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    X2 on the outdoor edge swing blade. [The fixed blade model not the replaceable razor] I've had a lot of knives over the years and in my opinion the swing blade is the best gutting, skinning knife you can buy. For the price. Everyone who has watched me use it has gone out and purchased one. The steel is medium soft so with a good sharpening steel you can get the blade's very sharp!!!.I've gutted several deer at a time with just a lite touch up in between. I highly recommend them.
    Did you guys buy the one that comes in a package with the saw? It costs the same as buying the knife without the saw...but don't want to bother getting the saw if it's low quality. If you buy the one with the saw; they share the same sheath (it looks like it would be quite a but bulkier than just having the knife).

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    I really hope thats that’s not the case. Banning knives because they’re sharp......... might have to ban gravity cause falling down hurts
    Yeah, imagine a knife that is sharp enough to cut something. We better protect the citizenry against this danger. Only in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Did you guys buy the one that comes in a package with the saw? It costs the same as buying the knife without the saw...but don't want to bother getting the saw if it's low quality. If you buy the one with the saw; they share the same sheath (it looks like it would be quite a but bulkier than just having the knife).
    Get the one with the saw. You'll need a saw to open up the chest cavity away and out door edge are quality products IMO. I carry my knife and saw in my pack, not on my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportster View Post
    Get the one with the saw. You'll need a saw to open up the chest cavity away and out door edge are quality products IMO. I carry my knife and saw in my pack, not on my belt.
    Will get that one. Thanks!

If you can find an ORIGINAL Old Timer you can't go wrong. I've had mine for more years than I can remember and it still takes and holds a edge like none of the latest and greatest gimmicks ever dreamed of. They are around and cheap. I picked up 2 at the last gun show for $35 for the pair one had the original sheath while the second had a nice home made case. Don't get a new one they are junk but if you can find a original Bob' your Uncle.

Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 01-15-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Typical gut hooks have a very small cutting edge, while the Outdoor Edge Zip or Swing blade has a large cutting edge. The larger edge lasts much longer than the typical gut hook. For that reason, I would look at the OE Zip or Swing blade.