Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

Re: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Ya,,,,both the guys I went duck and chukar hunting with this season are half deaf, as well,,,,, they're closing in on sixty. I'll try them out to see if they interfere or not. If they do, I'll just use them at the range and continue to use the smaller wax ear plugs while in the blind. I don't have big, hanging ears like some older guys do so I doubt they'll get in the way.

The muff type have never gotten in the way with my rifles,,,,hopefully it will be the same with a shotgun. My one buddy has a pair of the electronic muffs, which is why I thought I'd get some. He likes them and he's a hell of a shot so I know they're not getting in his way.
    I use muffs at the range. Huge difference between shooting a rifle Ans mounting and swinging a shotgun in one fluid and efecient motion but then what would I know.

To each their own industrial noise and loud music have done far more damage to my hearing than gunfire. IMHO
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I bought a pair of walkers game pro's. There low profile so they sit close to your head. Have used them a couple of times out at the range and have been n pretty impressed by how well they block out the report of big game rifles, but yet you can clearly hear people talking all around you, even at the far end of the benches. Don't know how they work, but they sure work good. I paid 129.00 on sale at cabelas.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Can you recommend a place to get them?
    Over here on the Island, I use NEXGEN Hearing, but there are lots of place on the lower mainland. Most hearing testing places offer this service. You go in, and they inject soft wax into your ear to take a cast of your ear. The cast is sent to a lab where they prepare a molding block. They inject silicon type rubber into it. Perfect cast of your ear. They seal well and protect your hearing. You can get them with noise reducing ports in them (these are the ones for you) or you can get them as solids. The solids are also used by competitive swimmers to keep water out of their ears.

I have a 2 sets of electronic ones, paid 39.99 per - they don't touch my stock while shooting. I can wear them all day, and I can hear people talking in the blind. They take 2 triple AAAs and last all season. Used them in the rain and wind, no issues (heavy wind I turn off the amplifiers). Used them for years now never had an issue, fit fine over my face mask as well.

These ones here but in camo, older version and were on sale $10 off
    https://www.cabelas.ca/product/10964...ronic-earmuffs

I got dbblockers for shooting competition and they were fine for pistol. You do have to get them redone every few years though as your canal shape will change and you won't get the same seal.

When I started waterfowling a few years ago I found that plugs themselves were not enough when I have a buddy shooting too close beside me if our spot needed us to be side by side. I started wearing slim muffs the last couple times and am fine. Some cans - like others say - are too bulky but there are slim ones that don't interfere with my swing.

I am looking for slim muffs that are electronic. Part of the pleasure of waterfowling is being able to chat with your buddies. Also I want to be able to hear the buggers coming in if they are calling.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    I got dbblockers for shooting competition and they were fine for pistol. You do have to get them redone every few years though as your canal shape will change and you won't get the same seal.

When I started waterfowling a few years ago I found that plugs themselves were not enough when I have a buddy shooting too close beside me if our spot needed us to be side by side. I started wearing slim muffs the last couple times and am fine. Some cans - like others say - are too bulky but there are slim ones that don't interfere with my swing.

I am looking for slim muffs that are electronic. Part of the pleasure of waterfowling is being able to chat with your buddies. Also I want to be able to hear the buggers coming in if they are calling.
    So these are the ones I ended up going with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thy are the slim ones when the amplified hearing. Good price, I thought! I have Amazon Prime free for the month so no shipping fees where I pick them up in Blaine. If I find that they get in the way when shouldering or swinging the shotgun I'll use them for deer hunting in the blind or at other times when I know I'll have time to put them on when big game hunting.
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-16-2019 at 04:48 PM.

Cool let me know how they work in the marsh.. I had my eye on those ones too

I love mine. I can hear the wings of the ducks flap before I even see them if they are coming in over top. They also cut the sound of the calls out. Yet you can hear everyone talk. Well worth the $60-$100. I just bought a second pair last week.
    Last edited by shelg; 01-23-2019 at 12:02 PM.