Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

Re: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Maybe with your typical ear plugs but not with the electronic muffs with the built in hearing amplification, Jim. You could actually hear them coming from further away. Supposedly, it's like wearing a hearing aid if you already had perfect hearing to start with.

s-l1600 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

One day I'd like to own these but $500+ is a little out of my budget,,,,,even though your hearing should be considered priceless!

https://www.soundgearhearing.com/col...nters-shooters
    I couldn't mount or swing a shotgun with those great lumps pushing against the stock, I'll stick to no protection abd keep my kill average up where it is thanks anyway.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I dont use anything but i really should. I get brutal headaches sometimes, especially in box blinds. I am only 38 and losing my hearing is something i dont want. I hunt with some older fellas and run dogs with some guys that dont and almost everyone over 60 cant hear worth a shit. I own a pair of walkers but dont wear them when hunting cause they are annoying and uncomfortable. I will invest in some customs for next year

Lone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I dont use anything but i really should. I get brutal headaches sometimes, especially in box blinds. I am only 38 and losing my hearing is something i dont want. I hunt with some older fellas and run dogs with some guys that dont and almost everyone over 60 cant hear worth a shit. I own a pair of walkers but dont wear them when hunting cause they are annoying and uncomfortable. I will invest in some customs for next year

Lone
    Ya,,,,both the guys I went duck and chukar hunting with this season are half deaf, as well,,,,, they're closing in on sixty. I'll try them out to see if they interfere or not. If they do, I'll just use them at the range and continue to use the smaller wax ear plugs while in the blind. I don't have big, hanging ears like some older guys do so I doubt they'll get in the way.

The muff type have never gotten in the way with my rifles,,,,hopefully it will be the same with a shotgun. My one buddy has a pair of the electronic muffs, which is why I thought I'd get some. He likes them and he's a hell of a shot so I know they're not getting in his way.

Quote Originally Posted by DStewart View Post
    I just got a pair done up by DB Blockers. Their head office for North America is in Surrey. All said and done was 168$
    Looks like what I'm looking for. Do they have a storefront or do you have to start the process on their website?

Have you shot centrefire with them or just shotgun?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I just got a pair done up by DB Blockers. Their head office for North America is in Surrey. All said and done was 168$
    Thanks for the great lead here. I've been putting off gettting a real pair because of the cost. I've been using plugs or muffs. I have a cheap pair of electronic muffs but I don't wear them in the field.

Bird hunting I've been carrying a pair of plugs (nice ones but not expensive) on a string around my neck. But, sometimes not much time to put them in.

I would love to have a pair I could leave in. I'm going to head to DB sometime soon and get a pair.

Thanks again!

Which model did you get? Did you order through the Website?

Are these ones just for hearing protection or do they have the built in amplifying system that helps you hear natural noises other than sudden impact loud noises?

Do you know the cost??
    Yes. You will probably pay about $125 -150 depending on the outfit. Have used these for 30 plus years. As far as I am concerned, they are the only way to go when it comes to shot-gunning. I find muffs get in the way, can be hot and sweaty, and just uncomfortable. You start factoring the clothing and gear you wear when hunting birds of any kind, and muffs don't make a lot of sense, unless they are the only alternative. Try the custom plugs, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Yes. You will probably pay about $125 -150 depending on the outfit. Have used these for 30 plus years. As far as I am concerned, they are the only way to go when it comes to shot-gunning. I find muffs get in the way, can be hot and sweaty, and just uncomfortable. You start factoring the clothing and gear you wear when hunting birds of any kind, and muffs don't make a lot of sense, unless they are the only alternative. Try the custom plugs, I don't think you will be disappointed.
    Can you recommend a place to get them?

Can you recommend a place to get them?
    I'm interested too.