Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

What kind of ear protection do you wear when you're in the blind. Up until now I was just wearing some wax ear plugs which I figure is much better than nothing but I bought some of the Walker electronic ear muff type with amplified hearing. Hopefully the colour (camo vs. black) doesn't matter because I got a sweet deal on the black ones off ebay.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ear protection,,,,,what do you use?

the construction type that are super light and go around your neck work good as they are fast to put on. some are better than others, i had a blue set that had rubber plugs that were awesome but the orange ones that are more popular are not quite as good, still better than nothing.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    the construction type that are super light and go around your neck work good as they are fast to put on. some are better than others, i had a blue set that had rubber plugs that were awesome but the orange ones that are more popular are not quite as good, still better than nothing.
    I feel I'd be more inclined to wear that type if I was hunting upland (chukars and pheasants) because you have time to put them in when the dog goes on point. With waterfowl, you almost have to have them in your ears a 100% of the time you're in the blind,,,,unless you can see the birds coming from a fair distance away. Sometimes, though, they seem to come out of nowhere, catching you totally by surprise, as if they were in stealth mode until they were 25 yards away. LOL There's no way you can put in ear plugs fast enough under those situations.

Where do you buy those blue ones?

Eh what was that lol. Nothing, pretty hard to hear incoming geese with earplugs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Eh what was that lol. Nothing, pretty hard to hear incoming geese with earplugs.
    Maybe with your typical ear plugs but not with the electronic muffs with the built in hearing amplification, Jim. You could actually hear them coming from further away. Supposedly, it's like wearing a hearing aid if you already had perfect hearing to start with.

s-l1600 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

One day I'd like to own these but $500+ is a little out of my budget,,,,,even though your hearing should be considered priceless!

https://www.soundgearhearing.com/col...nters-shooters
    Last edited by mastercaster; 01-14-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    I feel I'd be more inclined to wear that type if I was hunting upland (chukars and pheasants) because you have time to put them in when the dog goes on point. With waterfowl, you almost have to have them in your ears a 100% of the time you're in the blind,,,,unless you can see the birds coming from a fair distance away. Sometimes, though, they seem to come out of nowhere, catching you totally by surprise, as if they were in stealth mode until they were 25 yards away. LOL There's no way you can put in ear plugs fast enough under those situations.

Where do you buy those blue ones?
    I got them from a hardware store in a small town and havnt seen them since. But i did a quick search online and found them. https://www.ebay.ca/i/271135305577?chn=ps&dispItem=1
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

I shoot lots of shotgun. You only need plugs and not muffs for bird hunting. Your best bet are the molded plugs you by at hearing specialty places. They block or muffle shotgun noise but you can hear normal conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by zippermouth View Post
    I got them from a hardware store in a small town and havnt seen them since. But i did a quick search online and found them. https://www.ebay.ca/i/271135305577?chn=ps&dispItem=1
    For $8 for a single pair I might order a single set. They might be what I'd take deer hunting but more than half the deer I've shot probably wouldn't give me enough time to put them in, especially the whitetails. Sometimes all you get is a 2-3 second open window so you need to be quick.

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    I shoot lots of shotgun. You only need plugs and not muffs for bird hunting. Your best bet are the molded plugs you by at hearing specialty places. They block or muffle shotgun noise but you can hear normal conversation.
    Do you know the cost??

I just got a pair done up by DB Blockers. Their head office for North America is in Surrey. All said and done was 168$