Thread: 2019 spring sheep leh draw

2019 spring sheep leh draw

hello all! i had a few questions regarding sheep/goat area for the spring draw. im not looking for exact areas or honey holes just general knowledge. i have been steadily researching this forum and the net for info. This will be my first time going for sheep. I was lucky enough to get a goat last year and now im hooked! my brother in law and me are going and wanted to make it a sheep/ goat hunt providing one of us is lucky enough to even get a tag for these places. im thinking the spatsizi is out of the question due to being hard to access without horses or fly in and GOS for goat is only on the south eastern side. so that leaves the tatshenshini, atlin and edziza hunts. ive looked through google maps and think tatshenshini and atlin would be doable considering its going to be a hike in from the truck. everything ive read that the tat 6-29 has good density for sheep and goat but may the odds every be in your favor for getting that draw. 6-28 i haven't been able to find much but seems like a doable hike in and has a larger GOS area for goats. The Atlin and mount edziz hunts seems to have alot of LEH only areas for goats so that makes it a little harder. so if anyone has some knowledge or these hunts it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 spring sheep leh draw

I wouldn't limit yourself to LEH options only. There are plenty of good hike in spots where both stone sheep and goats are on GOS both off hwy 37 and the alaska highway.

yea im not limiting myself to LEH i already have plan B and C kinda figured out if neither draw a LEH.

Well tatshenshini definitely holds good goat numbers. Obviously sheep too. The access isn’t as great as you might think simply because it’s so effin far from anywhere if you drive. And if you fly to Whitehorse then you have to rent or borrow a car to get there.

I saw some huge goats in the back country there. They looked like dairy cows stuck in the rocks. 7 good billies on one face, three or four days hike off the highway. Would be a good pack out.

ok yea 6-29 seems like she would be quite a hike, i know physically i can do it but i have to keep my partner in mind. i just dont wanna apply for a place, potentially get the tag and have my partner bail when someone else is trying to win the tag and is flying in or knows where to go. do you have any experience with 6-28? it seems the goats are situated on the southern side of the area where as sheep seem to be north. It doesn't seem to be to bad of a walk in from the highway.

Never hunted it but they call it the rock pile. Tougher hunt but a couple big rams got killed over there last year.

Quote Originally Posted by madcalfe View Post
    yea im not limiting myself to LEH i already have plan B and C kinda figured out if neither draw a LEH.
    My suggestion if you are looking for a hike in hunt, I'd make LEH your plan B or C and focus on a plan A that's a higher success sheep/goat spot. I personally think there is much higher success for sheep hiking in non LEH zones. Any of the draws you mentioned really your success can be much higher with flying in, etc.

I've heard of guys having some great hunts in various zones without flying in, but it seems to me that success is much higher hiking in to a pile of other spots in Reg 6 and 7

If lucky enough to draw an early season LEH, then my suggestion is to put all the effort into the sheep and if possible put the investment to fly in to maximize the opportunity as well.
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 01-13-2019 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    My suggestion if you are looking for a hike in hunt, I'd make LEH your plan B or C and focus on a plan A that's a higher success sheep/goat spot. I personally think there is much higher success for sheep hiking in non LEH zones. Any of the draws you mentioned really your success can be much higher with flying in, etc.

I've heard of guys having some great hunts in various zones without flying in, but it seems to me that success is much higher hiking in to a pile of other spots in Reg 6 and 7
    well as luck might have it a fly in hunt could possibly be in the cards now. and yes if neither of us draw a tag i pretty much have a game plan to hunt stones and goats in region 7 but one can only wait and hope till tags are drawn.