Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Re: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Long time ago I used to tie flies for Young’s Tools & Hardwares in Penticton. Only one pattern and that was
    a red bodied Doc Spratly. I would tie a gross or two and he would sell them to the Kokanee fishermen for use in Skaha Lake.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Ekul246, i caught the Kokanee bug bad about 2 years ago now. My go to setup has been a 4" Mac's Sling Blade in Pink UV followed by a pink micro hoochie with corn or power bait on the hook. That being said, i think i have over 50 Flashers & Dodgers in all sorts of colors in a Dodger wallet, a huge assortment and colors of Hoochies, Apex's, Wedding Bands, Spin N Glows, Brads Cut Plugs and Spoons. I also got my hands on a few Slide Diver Lite Bites (Google em) to get things down down in depth. You will catch the bug once you start..
    Twanger
    Last edited by twanger; 01-14-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    Resident Hunter - Team 45/70 Member #680

I am liking all the info.

What about some of the other local lakes such as Hayward and Alouette? Are there Kokanee or is it just a better bet to go to Kawkawa?

Willow leaf with a wedding band and a pink maggot on a 6 1/2' rod with a spinning reel, trolled slowly about 100' back. I suggest Hub Sports in Mission or Fred's Custom tackle in Abbotsford rather than the ones you mentioned. The local knowledge and service is worth the time to go see them if you haven't already.

I never bought into the major set up for Kokanee, 6-6 rod, spin reel, croc spoon 2’ leader with a pretty heavy weight up from the leader. Simple and sweet. Works well for us
    moose meat mindset

Up Allouette Lake around the narrows, we found the small 4-6" flashers 50/50 silver/brass ahead of ~6' of 6# fluoro leader and a small pink/white Dick Nite tipped with maggots was the killer. Used 7-9' spinning rods. and put the outboard in neutral when reeling them in to reduce drag.

On Kawkawa Lake, caught loads of Kokanee at the beginning of the season on small red, brassor silver bead head micro leeches. Cast and strip or trolled with 3wt. slime line.

Out in the Kootenays in all Kokanee bearing lakes, my favorite was a medium sized two or 4-blade Willow Leaf gang troll, 18-24" leader to a Wedding Ring spinner tipped with natural or pink maggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    Up Allouette Lake around the narrows, we found the small 4-6" flashers 50/50 silver/brass ahead of ~6' of 6# fluoro leader and a small pink/white Dick Nite tipped with maggots was the killer. Used 7-9' spinning rods. and put the outboard in neutral when reeling them in to reduce drag.

On Kawkawa Lake, caught loads of Kokanee at the beginning of the season on small red, brassor silver bead head micro leeches. Cast and strip or trolled with 3wt. slime line.

Out in the Kootenays in all Kokanee bearing lakes, my favorite was a medium sized two or 4-blade Willow Leaf gang troll, 18-24" leader to a Wedding Ring spinner tipped with natural or pink maggots.
    I'm guessing it's not practical to get to the narrows with only a trolling motor? I have a big battery but.......?
    Last edited by ekul246; 01-16-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Another question? What colour dodgers do you guys like?
    Last edited by ekul246; 01-16-2019 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I'm guessing it's not practical to get to the narrows with only a trolling motor? I have a big battery but.......?
    It gets powerful windy in the afternoons and the big lakes are not something to fool around on. Narrows are a long ways away for a trolling motor and I've been on there with with a 12' tinny and a 9.9 2-stroke with two guys in the boat - the 2' waves made it miserable getting back - almost overwhelming for the little 9.9 - I don't advise the long trips on big open water under battery power. But you can catch kokanuts right near and across from the launch so you just have to play it by ear and only venture out as far as you feel comfortable rowing into the wind.

Kawakwa Lake is better for your barrety troller but the Kawkawa Kokanee taste better than the Aloutte Lk variey. Maybe because Kawkawa has more opportunity for sewage to get into it or because it doesn't have the fish pellet feeder as Alouette does.

I really like the 50/50 silver/brass dodger/flashers when I use them for kokanee,
    Last edited by Rieber; 01-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.

ekul246, I became a kokanee addict in 2015 and have been trying as many different techniques and gear to catch them as I can since then. There's simply too many things to say about kokanee fishing in one comment, but here it goes. You can keep your kokanee fishing setup simple or complicated. When I first started getting into kokanee fishing, I did not own a boat. I used to rent a 12ft aluminum boat and use my pontoon boat electric motor to troll for them. I had no downriggers or special gear other than a 6ft rod, an extremely light drag (let them pull lots of line because of their soft mouths) a dodger and a pink spin-n-glow with white wings. We would troll in the spring and catch lots of kokanee on our local lake, Ten Mile Lake here in Quesnel. I used a Luhr Jensen 4 inch dodger at the time (and still use them on occasion) because they are heavier than other lighter dodgers and will get you down to the right depth in the spring.

My addiction to learn about kokanee fishing became a reality and I started watching as many youtube videos as I could. I found there were not a lot of kokanee fishing videos on Youtube for our lakes in British Columbia. At the time, I strayed away from starting a Youtube channel because I did not have the funding for a video editing program. We started our family Facebook group in June of 2016 called KOKANEE FISHING BC. I am amazed how much I have learned since then and continue to learn. If you need more information to help you learn and are on Facebook, feel free to check us out. We went public this year and all the information is available for you to read (you do not need to be a member unless you want to comment or ask questions). We have a LEARNING section in our Facebook group where I am setting it up to help with the learning curve. We also started a Youtube channel called FOUGERE FAMILY ADVENTURES. We have uploaded all our kokanee fishing videos to our Youtube channel and focus on trying to help others learn as we learn.

I hope this helps or can help you moving forward. Here's the links to our Facebook group and Youtube Channel.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/KokanneFishingBC/

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDP..._as=subscriber
    Last edited by Ben Fougere; 04-07-2019 at 09:09 AM.