Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Re: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    Good Info Texas Ranger and others ! Thanks ! RJ
    Shoot me a PM if you want to get out on the water this spring, I don't mind teaching an old dog some new tricks

You BET - I WILL for Sure ! I have Never Fished STUMP lake but see a Bunch fishing there all the time while driving by as i go up to Peter Hope !
    I see Brian Chan fishes it a Bunch ! RJ

Does anyone know if Kawkawa Lake in Hope is frozen?

Edit: Found out from Hope Outdoors that it is indeed frozen
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.

A question about baiting with krill.

Should I put the krill on hooks whole or should I cut them into pieces?
    Going to give Alouette Lake a try tomorrow.

Edit: Scratched that. Nature girl informed me that the road in might be closed still. Checked the notices on the park website. Closed as of February 11th and February 13th notice said indefinitely closed until all the snow melts and the trees are cleared. That was the last notice........winter keeps defeating my first attempts at Kokanee........
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-09-2019 at 08:29 PM.

Finally made it out! Took my sister it for her birthday to Alouette Lake. Her very first time fishing and it was her 20th birthday.
    On the water at 9:15am. Caught my first Kokanee ever at 10:15am!
    Hooked it on the rainbow coloured dodger with a flash sticker and the cha cha hoochie with Kokanee fire corn.
    The other rod had a 50/50 silver and brass dodger with a pink and white spinner I bought for pinks a few years ago and krill. Had a few bites on that one in the same general area as the hook up. That was it. Battery was getting low around 2:00 with fighting the wind (or I was just paranoid about getting stuck out there with a dead battery). I thought the wind blew south in the afternoon but it was blowing north.
    Packed up and left by 3 and headed over to Whonnock where we caught my sister her first fish and trout.

I was running I think about a quarter ounce sliding weight a couple feet above my dodger and 100 pulls off the line when I hooked the Kokanee. Round about the same or less with the bites on the other rod. Added more weight to get deeper, didn't get any more bites. Passed another fisherman, amongst the MANY that were out, and he said it's pretty early in the season still.
    Being my very first time I didn't know if that one Kokanee was just a fluke or what. But I'm pretty happy I didn't get skunked. Catching one allowed me to learn something!
    Last edited by ekul246; 03-31-2019 at 07:51 AM.

Hey ekul246 you caught yourself a kokanee way to go. Now I bet your hooked. Nice you had your sis along to.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I heard the boat launch was closed in Allouette cause of low water how did you launch ?
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    I heard the boat launch was closed in Allouette cause of low water how did you launch ?
    From the launch. It's not closed. But larger boat owners were not launching. Only small craft. I backed mine down and then we carried it to the water.
    The lake is very very low. Never seen it like that

I cooked up that Kokanee Monday after work......Holy crap it was good! Gave my kids all a bite and they were begging for more. Put cuts down the sides, skin on, and pan fried it with some salt and pepper. Delicious! Way better than any trout I've had. Smoked it would be fantastic too! I've read that it is good but it still surprised me.
    Last edited by ekul246; 04-05-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I cooked up that Kokanee Monday after work......Holy crap it was good! Gave my kids all a bite and they were begging for more. Put cuts down the sides, skin on, and pan fried it with some salt and pepper. Delicious! Way better than any trout I've had. Smoked it would be fantastic too! I've read that it is good but it still surprised me.
    Glad to hear you caught your first kokanee. My boys can eat a full kokanee to themselves, especially when it's smoked kokanee. Who doesn't love smoked landlocked sockeye?