Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Kokanee for the first time this spring

So I've been doing some research on fishing for these.

Who here goes for Kokanee?

Fishing with Rod has some helpful tips. But there is so much other info out there it just gets confusing.
    What setups do you guys use?
    I don't have downriggers for my 12ft Jon boat. And would rather not buy even the little ones from Cabela's.
    I was thinking of jigging a Croc while anchored as well as trolling a Dodger with a snubber and a spoon or wedding band tipped with krill or shoepeg corn. What about a little roebag of my own cured sockeye from this past summer?
    If I fish in early March, seems from what I've read, the fish should be closer to the surface and I can fish under a bobber or troll close to the surface and should have some success. Maybe?
    Since I live in Mission, I would like to try Hayward, if there is any Kokanee there. Or on Stave Lake?
    I'm about to make a purchase on Bass pro and include some of the seemingly necessary gear like snubbers and dodgers. Thought about Willow Leafs but not sure if I want to add that weight to my line while trolling.

I have no experience with this and I don't know anybody who has experience with Kokanee so I'm reaching out to get some good advice and clarity on all the info that is out there.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Kokanee for the first time this spring

I use a macs dodger with the pink tape, no snubber, and 12-14” leader off the end with a UV squid tipped with corn marinated in “Kokanee magic” first then the “bloody tuna” pro-cure scent. Around here they seem to be around 30’ deep and 25-30’ back behind the downrigger ball. Troll very slow, 1.5-2k max and make lots of “S” patterns.

I’ve had good success with a small gang troll with a wedding band tipped with a piece of worm behind. Just trolled slow eightyish feet behind the boat.

Get a low profile 27# lead core line with 50' of 15# test line. Use a FST #5 without the hook attached to leader and then a short section (14") of 8 or 10# test line and a small spoon, hoochie or even a wedding band. Like wifigary says, go slow, I don't think it matter much about the s patterns but pulling the rod forward about 5 or 6 feet and then dropping it back to let the flasher flutter down may improve your strikes. I use a large capacity level wind reel, Penn is my preferred reel. I use these so I do not get any kinks in the lead line and the retrieve rate is fast. When you feel a slight tap, rapidly reel because kokanee will run toward you making you believe you lost it. They will shake off if not kept on tension.
    Your 12 Jon boat is a good fishing boat. I would suggest that you row instead of using motor power. A stroke every 3 to 5 seconds or maybe a second or two more. Your lure will slow at the intervals between the power stroke which makes for good action.
    I usually fish 3 to 4 colors trailing in early morning and 6 to 7 colors at high sun position.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    I’ve had good success with a small gang troll with a wedding band tipped with a piece of worm behind. Just trolled slow eightyish feet behind the boat.
    How do you tow the gang troll? Separately behind the boat or on the rod?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Get a low profile 27# lead core line with 50' of 15# test line. Use a FST #5 without the hook attached to leader and then a short section (14") of 8 or 10# test line and a small spoon, hoochie or even a wedding band. Like wifigary says, go slow, I don't think it matter much about the s patterns but pulling the rod forward about 5 or 6 feet and then dropping it back to let the flasher flutter down may improve your strikes. I use a large capacity level wind reel, Penn is my preferred reel. I use these so I do not get any kinks in the lead line and the retrieve rate is fast. When you feel a slight tap, rapidly reel because kokanee will run toward you making you believe you lost it. They will shake off if not kept on tension.
    Your 12 Jon boat is a good fishing boat. I would suggest that you row instead of using motor power. A stroke every 3 to 5 seconds or maybe a second or two more. Your lure will slow at the intervals between the power stroke which makes for good action.
    I usually fish 3 to 4 colors trailing in early morning and 6 to 7 colors at high sun position.
    Good info Jagermeister. Will lead core go onto a spinning reel? Looking to keeps costs low. Will my 6'6" medium action rod work with that too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Good info Jagermeister. Will lead core go into a spinning reel? Looking to keeps costs low. Will my 6'6" medium action rod work with that too?

Spinning reels twist the line too much. Go with a level wind. Your 6'6" rod will work. Check garage sales for level winds. Penn 309, Penn 320 GTi, Okuma 300 L, Arsenal would be some to look for. Maybe a Shakespeare. It would be better if you have a rod with a smaller guide than the large one found on the spinning rods. Look at garage sales for those too and do not overlook pawnshops and other secondhand stores. Just know your prices first so you don't get rolled over by some crafty salesperson in a pawnshop.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

We used to fish quite often for Kokanee in Otter Lake @ Tulameen. Too lazy now.
    A spinning reel, 6 - 6.5 ft. rods, trolled behind our 12 ft. using either the electric or the Merc.
    1 - 2 ft. wedding band then @ 1.5 ft. of line to a Dick Knight or a Kokanee Killer.
    A rubber "snubber" is a good idea as their mouths are pretty soft.
    Kawkawa Lake in Hope is an easy hour drive from Mission, has pretty decent Spring Kokanee fishing.
    Have been meaning to take my little "plastic" punt home to Hope from the cabin and give it a go sometime, probably with a little electric.
    Good luck, Kokes are IMHO the best tasting fresh water fish.

Having moved to the Cariboo in 1979 I haven't fished kokanee for many years..I used to fish Kawkawa lake at Hope in the spring..I used chironomids ...They worked awsome...Small size 14-16 ...Caught kokanee to 22 inches ...Don"t know now what its like but chironomids work...Dennis