Thread: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Threaded View

Re: Kokanee for the first time this spring

So I finally made it out to Kawkawa Lake last Saturday. Trolled the hoochie behind the rainbow dodger with corn and the silver/brass dodger with a red wedding band and krill. No bites. Saw many boats come and go through the day. Some hooking coho but mostly getting nothing.
    Fish were rising and jumping right from 7:30am to noon. Around 10am I decided to try krill under a float. Have never enjoyed doing float fishing as it's been unproductive in the past and I'm impatient. Sitting and watching gets boring real quick. Well, I decided to give it a good solid try. Few minutes in, anchored in the middle of the lake where there were rises everywhere, bobber goes under! Lost it at the boat. Lots of bites and a few hookups all lost at boat except one. It was a real good sized coho. But I forgot to take a picture. Then it died for over an hour. So I trolled to the east end of the lake.
    Wind and rain came up, so i retreated to the southeast corner of the lake to try float fishing. Was about to pack it up, but then the rain and wind stopped and the fish started jumping. So I started float fishing again, krill down about 6 ft and they were biting like crazy. Used up almost all my krill! Landed about 6 after switching to a smaller hook. All of them were coho. Maybe a couple were Kokanee but I lost them too far from the boat to tell. Playing them on my new ultralight 6'6" spinning rod was a freaking blast.
    One other boat, while I was float fishing, managed to catch a Kokanee on his downrigger apparently it wasn't deep. He was dropping the ball when it bit.

Hoping to get out to Kawkawa again in a week or two. Hopefully catch some Kokanee but hey, those little cohos were a blast.

The only info I could find about these coho was on Fishing with Rod's website. Says there is non-retention of these coho in Kawkawa. Since I couldn't find any other info I released all of them. Anyone know about this?

Also, how are pictures getting put up these days?

Ekul246
    Last edited by ekul246; 04-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.