Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Re: Kokanee for the first time this spring

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    1 - 2 ft. wedding band then @ 1.5 ft. of line to a Dick Knight or a Kokanee Killer.
    Maybe a little more detail on this?

Hey ekul246 I cant tell you anything about kokanee fishing but I did see you would like to try stave lake just watch the lake as the lake can get pretty windy. Like today went on the lake near the boat launch it was a bit windy but on the main lake it was pretty calm. And going out this time of year barely any boats out on the water. So for the weather I look up stave falls powerhouse weather mission bc and it is pretty good for telling you about the weather.
    Good luck kokanee fishing.

Oh yes watch out for the stumps a lot of stumps on the lake and know the buoy markers. Believe me you will loose some fishing gear on stave lake.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    Maybe a little more detail on this?
    Look at your local fishing store for a small, 1 - 2 ft in length wedding band, "gang troll" or a small flasher set, remember Kokanee are relatively small.
    Use swivels at each connection. Tie on about 1.5 ft. of fishing line and tie the end of that to a Dick Knight ( small "spoon" with hook ) or a Kokanee Killer, same idea.
    Some attach bait to the hook. Troll slowly. Suggest the rubber "snubber" so you don't rip the hook out too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    How do you tow the gang troll? Separately behind the boat or on the rod?
    we just had em on the rod. I think the one I used to most of the time was called a Kokanee troll, but when I just goggled it I didn’t see anything. Pretty small as far as gang trolls go, but if you’re looking for a fight, a Kokanee dragging a gang troll around isn’t going to get you excited.

Quote Originally Posted by nature girl View Post
    Hey ekul246 I cant tell you anything about kokanee fishing but I did see you would like to try stave lake just watch the lake as the lake can get pretty windy. Like today went on the lake near the boat launch it was a bit windy but on the main lake it was pretty calm. And going out this time of year barely any boats out on the water. So for the weather I look up stave falls powerhouse weather mission bc and it is pretty good for telling you about the weather.
    Good luck kokanee fishing.

Oh yes watch out for the stumps a lot of stumps on the lake and know the buoy markers. Believe me you will loose some fishing gear on stave lake.
    Thanks. I had a feeling that was the case from having canoed on it when i was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Look at your local fishing store for a small, 1 - 2 ft in length wedding band, "gang troll" or a small flasher set, remember Kokanee are relatively small.
    Use swivels at each connection. Tie on about 1.5 ft. of fishing line and tie the end of that to a Dick Knight ( small "spoon" with hook ) or a Kokanee Killer, same idea.
    Some attach bait to the hook. Troll slowly. Suggest the rubber "snubber" so you don't rip the hook out too easily.
    Oh ok. I understand. I have a few wedding bands I just didn't think of them as being 1-2ft long.
    Definitely going to try the snubber as it seems that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    we just had em on the rod. I think the one I used to most of the time was called a Kokanee troll, but when I just goggled it I didn’t see anything. Pretty small as far as gang trolls go, but if you’re looking for a fight, a Kokanee dragging a gang troll around isn’t going to get you excited.
    Cabela's carries a willow leaf gang troll that I was considering https://www.cabelas.ca/product/8596/...af-lake-trolls. I'm going to be ordering a couple dodgers. This one https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/yaki...kokanee-dodger in silver and surfer. Both 3 3/4".

The overall setup i was considering before starting this thread was a dodger followed by a spoon or wedding band tipped with krill. Two rods set up. One is a light 5'6" and then the medium 6'6".

But I am interested by what Jagermeister said about lead core line.

Which non-downrigger method is the most popular?
    Last edited by ekul246; 01-13-2019 at 09:35 PM.

There is no denying that gang trolls work. But the weight of the gang troll over a single flasher and tiny spoon makes it necessary to have the snubber and you will miss some hits.
    I have gang trolls, they have not seen the light of day for years until this year when I found a new use for them as ornaments on the Christmas Tree.
    Elknut, wander over to Horse Lake, Deka or Bridge Lakes for some dam fine Kokanee fishing. Pick up the smaller Sling Blade. Works mighty fine according to my son, the fishing legend. I taught him every thing he knows, well just about everything, some things he picked up on his own.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thanks Jagermeister....I'm too busy fishing chironomids for big rainbow...When I lived down at the coast then Kawkawa was great for spring fishing..I have friends that fish for kokanee in Deka and Bridge lakes ..They mainly troll for them ...I'm not into that anymore..I've caught kokanee on the chironomid during a mayfly hatch on Horse lake .....Thanks again Jagermeister....Dennis

Oops, was driving back from the cabin and ekul246's comment about the size of wedding bands got me thinking about what I said.
    I should have said "willowleaf" not wedding band, the wedding band is the for the end of the line, like the Kokanee Killers and such.
    Don't know what I was thinking but I'll claim advancing age and beer impairment.
    Sorry.