Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow length

arrow length

currently I am shooting a 32 inch arrow not including broadhead or field tip. how does shortening an arrow affect performance is there advantages either longer or shorter.I could comfortably cut 2 inches off.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: arrow length

Shortening the arrow will make the spine a bit stiffer and you may or may not need a heavier tip. Cut only one to experiment with then decide.

If your draw length is 31", you should not shorten your arrows. Overdraw rests will position the arrow tip behind your bow hand and you did see the recent picture of the arrow through someone's mitt. Generally, that is how it is done. Keep at least an inch longer that your draw length. You want your hand to be behind that broadhead a significant distance for safety sake.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

What Jäger said but if you give us your bow specs and the arrows your shooting we might be able to offer more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    What Jäger said but if you give us your bow specs and the arrows your shooting we might be able to offer more ideas.
    its a hoyt ultramag 60 pound draw weight,radial weave 300 arrows,100 grain field tips or broadheads.It shoots around 250 ft per second. When at full draw I have around four inches from the rest to the threaded end of the arrow.thanks for the info. I also use a whisker bisquit,the rest is around the same distance as my hand.
    Last edited by ghost; 01-11-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Take one of your arrows. Place the nock at your adams apple and slide your hands out along the arrow until eventually you have the arrow solely grasped by the middle finger on each hand. have someone mark this location. Measure from the nock to the mark, this is your draw length. You can do it with a yard stick too.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I did the arrow measurement and came up with 29 and 1/4 .

This is the tune chart for your bow. check the appropiate draw length (29") to see the rest of the criteria for your bow.
    Letoff 65/75 #
    Brace height 7⅛"
    Axle to axle 36¼"
    Draw Length 29"
    Module position C
    Base Cam F
    String length 55"
    Control cable 41½"
    Buss cable 38½"
    As for the arrows, unless you have a high speed cutoff saw, I would advise you to leave those at the current length. Maybe if you have a shop that perform that for you, then fill you boots but not more than 2" at an inch at a time.
    As for the speed of your bow, I would think that it should be nearer to 300 f/s. If the string and cables were never change, might now be time to do it.

When I lived on the coast I chronographed it at the poco range it was quite a while ago and for some reason 250 feet per second sticks in my head ,I could be wrong.Do you know of a good archery shop in in the Kamloops area.Would like to tune the bow it has been quite a while since I have used it. Thanks for your insight and knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    When I lived on the coast I chronographed it at the poco range it was quite a while ago and for some reason 250 feet per second sticks in my head ,I could be wrong.Do you know of a good archery shop in in the Kamloops area.Would like to tune the bow it has been quite a while since I have used it. Thanks for your insight and knowledge.
    You're going to Kelowna or back to the lower mainland. There's a couple of guys at the club who do their own but that would mean joining and meeting them.

There was a paid "bow tech" here but don't know where he went.