Thread: Anyone do winter crappie fishing in the LML?

Anyone do winter crappie fishing in the LML?

Really just wanting to get some fish on the rod. Get my young boys into some as well.

Any tips? Trolling? Go deep? Bait? Lures?
    Whonnock Lake and Mill Lake are closest lakes to me as I live in Mission. Any other locations welcome.

Caught a slab crappie off the dock at Mill Lake this summer with my 3 kids. Was just goofing with a jerkbait as I wanted to give bass a try. Came out from under the dock and choked down the 2" jerkbait. Kids went nuts as they saw the whole thing. Pretty fun day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone do winter crappie fishing in the LML?

I’d try mill lake, I’ve aleays had best luck with a worm u see a bobber off the dock, not much luck in the winter though, you could try hatzic lame too or Albert dyck behind the Abbotsford airport.

Might try Mill Lake today. See what is happening there.

hmm pm me i will give you where i used to take my kids...

Hatzic lake has tons of crappie,bouncing bottom with jigs works or if you use bobber and worm you’ll get into lots of whitefish or catfish depending on which side of the lake.
    Silvermere also has lots of crappie and small mouth bass,acsess can be a bit tricky though:
    The Dewdney boat launch area is also good if your looking to entertain some kids,lots of small fish to be caught but the bites are very frequent.
    I also live in Mission and have taken friends and their younger kids out with pretty decent success for spots that produce enough to keep the young ones “hooked”
    Let me know if you need further details or better locations and I’m glad to help where I can.

Finally followed through on the winter crappie fishing out at Whonnock yesterday. Took 2 of my boys out on the lake. Brought some worms and the Basspro crappie kit of plastics. Went out to the deep part of the lake and rigged up their rods with some worms. Dropped them down and rigged myself on a chartreuse and silver flake tube. I had the first one one in a few minutes. After I caught a 2nd one I rigged the boys up with jigs and chartreuse plastic. Similar but different to the one I was using. After I caught the third one I changed out their baits again. The 4.5 year old then caught his first crappie and was super excited. Caught the biggest one of the day too. 6.5 year old then decided his hands were too cold and didn't fish the rest of the time. I hooked another and called the younger one over and he reeled it in. Caught 6 but had quite a few bites. The 4.5 year old had quite a few bites and really enjoyed himself. It is his first trip that he was able to actually fish and not just be in the boat. He has reeled in a trout, but this was the first fish he actively fished for and caught. Was fun and worth it. 6 crappies total. Couple mouthfuls of fish once cleaned and cooked. Good day for me and two of my boys!

ekul246