Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spik

Unless you KNOW your going to have a choice in the future, the first choice is ALWAYS the best choice..

Getting your scope, on a harvest-able animal, is hard enough as it is, the majority of the time..
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

I dropped a doe and two button bucks this year on QCI. I'd definitely take a spike.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

My take is that antler configuration does not mean much. It doesn't always correlate to body mass or maturity. I have seen at least one spike, a few forks and lots of 3x*'s way bigger than a lot of 4x4's and 5x5's. Body mass and big bases tell more than points. Point restrictions are just an easy way to manage hunters and I suspect it is actually counter intuitive for genetics, especially for guys that want to see more bucks with bigger racks. I hear the argument "let that 2 point grow to be a 4 point" ... I think a lot of guys don't realize that 2 point is fully mature and will never be anything but a 2 point. He's not getting any more points ever, and he's going to spread those small rack genetics and compete for winter feed.

Now the debate over shooting a tiny immature deer. Different story. Is it that last day of the season? If it feels right and it's legal, can't argue with that!

Rather a spike than a doe, both delicious but I leave both for the youngsters I like to get into the game these days.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Not anymore. I have in the past but I need to see just the right deer to punch my tag. You don't shoot big bucks if you shoot the first spike you see. I don't look at it as a conservation issue either. I'm most likely going to shoot a deer or two per season, I would rather have a rack for the wall and a pile of meat. This year I brought a new hunter out and he shot a spike mule in the first hour of opening day. I got to keep hunting by being selective, while his season was quite literally 1 hour long.

In the past I wouldn’t turn down any legal animals, but now with the reduced bag limits for deer, I’d only take the spiker in region 2, and hold out for bigger deer in other regions.
    Huntin, fishin, and lovin every day.

My first animal when I started hunting was a spike. Didn’t need to give it a single thought. I wouldn’t take another though, the yield just isn’t enough.

Mule deer not a chance.
    White tail, near the end of season it’s a no brainer for me. I got about 40lbs of meat off my little spike wt this year. That’s a decent amount of meals for me.

Spike moose? I’d take a spike over a big bull any day

I like to think I'm leaving the easy spikes so some new hunter can get their first deer. Very little challenge to them. Not much meat.

Yes, absolutely 100% I would shoot a spike deer. If I am after putting some meat in the freezer and I'm deer hunting, spikes fit the bill nicely.