Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

How many of you would shoot a spike? I know I would take it. What your reasoning if you wouldn't? Not enough meat? Waiting for a "big one"?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spik

not for me .dont think its worth taking the life for 30lbs of meat let it grow for a few years

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Aside from they would great eating ! Yeh in regards to MD I’m always looking for something bigger than what RemingtonJim has on his wall or I’m not shooting it !
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Fingers crossed this conversation is more civil about this subject than facebook...
    I would typically not take a spike. I'm not opposed to it, but I do enjoy hunting and am always willing to put more time in. Sometimes you run out of time. I did shoot a spike this year and he's delicious. No regrets.

I would have no problems with shooting one. The younger the animal the better & more tender the taste in general. (In a group of deer given the option I'll take the one with the smallest antlers.)

Although I would never shoot a calf moose. It could easily be a female.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Im Eating spike roast tomorrow. Amazing eats. I will take a smaller buck or spike after getting more meat in the freezer first. Some years it is only does and spikes to fill the freezer. This year it was a moose, spike buck and doe.

It all depends if I have no plan on targeting that species of deer but carrying at tag yes I would. If I plan on investing a good amount of time targeting that species then odds are I would pass

All depends on my plans for the season

Yup, I wouldn’t turn down a nice big buck but at the same time you can’t eat antlers, a spike is just as edible(if not more) than a big stinky 4 point.

You can’t shoot the big ones if you shoot the small ones. That being said, I have no problem with guys or gals taking anything legal whether it be spikes, does or “anterless”. Meat in the freezer is meat in the freezer and as mentioned the young ones do taste better.

I thought you're referring to Spike moose.
    Spike deer meat is very tender and tasty so would be my choice.

Here's the rare sighting (from DANA)

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein