Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Never have and never will.

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spik

My answer is you cancel a tag on a small deer and your not going to get much meat off the deer I would rather let it grow up somewhat cancel my tag on a bigger deer for more meat all
    depends on how desperate you are for a deer..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Bigger animal = more meat. But if it’s the last day I’m able to hunt and a decently sized spike presents itself I would probably shoot it.

I would rather have 80m lbs of good eating, rather than 140 lbs of rutted game..

I shoot spikes, they are delicious...

I do it for you guys.. If I shoot a spike, that leaves a big antlered buck still alive for someone else to harvest..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I prefer the meat, even if there is less of it.

That said, I've never shot a wallhanger so if a monster buck and a spike were feeding side by side I'd probably go for the stinky old bugger.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Im a meat hunter, I shoot the first legal animal I see generally. I typically only get a few days to go out during the season so I dont get a lot of opportunities to shoot something.

meat is good
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Back in the old days remember stopping at Cache Creek game checking station with 2 spike mule deer. They were so small that the officer called them fawns!
    As usual the meat was something to die for!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I strongly believe if you take small bucks you won't get big bucks. My goals when hunting are to challenge myself in order to improve my skills as well as get some meat. So on the last day of hunting season at last hour then I would take a spike buck otherwise I would pass on. Sometimes this is hard to do but I did never regret so far.
    Perfect example was last year. I saw a spike buck with a doe. This little guy was more concerned about his girlfriend than about me. I could have shot him 1000 times. Instead I watched him to see where he is heading to in order to learn about the trails they use. 200m from him I bumped into a 4 point I shot.
    Meat quality related to buck age is not a concern for me. I have yet to see a difference once the meat is processed into sausages, burgers or canned meat. I believe instead meat care matters (getting the meat cooled and cleaned asap).
    We all have different priorities/goals so I don't mind if others shoot spike bucks. I'm always happy about hunter success. It keeps our passion up.

the luckiest deer in the forest is the spiker i see on day one of a 5 day hunt

the unluckiest deer in the forest is the same deer on day 5.............