Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Re: To shoot a spike or not to shoot a spike

Nope. No does, cows or calves for me either. There is no challenge in it when shooting spikers and I dont do it for the meat alone so I pass.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Deer is sausage in our house, so first legal one gets er!!!!spike, four point, don’t matter, legal!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

What is the saying,"Don't pass up on the first day, you wouldn't shoot on the last day".
    So, you would rather have tag soup than shoot a spiker?
    Are we talking deer, elk or Spike fork moose?

Quote Originally Posted by New Bow Hunter View Post
    What is the saying,"Don't pass up on the first day, you wouldn't shoot on the last day".
    So, you would rather have tag soup than shoot a spiker?
    Are we talking deer, elk or Spike fork moose?
    As for deer, I'd rather pass up a spike and end up with "tag soup" at the end of the season. I don't see the cost of a tag significant compared to the price of trucks, fuel, ATV's etc. If it was about meat and value, it would be way cheaper to purchase some quality meat from a organic butcher.
    I'd much rather let a buck grow and gain a few pounds and leave the babies for those that can't get anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    As for deer, I'd rather pass up a spike and end up with "tag soup" at the end of the season. I don't see the cost of a tag significant compared to the price of trucks, fuel, ATV's etc. If it was about meat and value, it would be way cheaper to purchase some quality meat from a organic butcher.
    I'd much rather let a buck grow and gain a few pounds and leave the babies for those that can't get anything else.
    X2 .... guy travels from the island, books a cabin at Tunkwa for a week, burns 3 tanks of gas .... "cheap meat" lol

Turn down spikes... I have proof of that.

I'm not against people shooting spikes. Helped my buddy get his first ever dinky 2 point and he's loving it. I just hate the "humble" reasons people give for shooting a spike. The classic "can't eat antlers" or "young ones are better than the old stinky ones" I've only ever ate one deer that had an off taste. I still ate it, I just wouldn't serve it to anyone trying wild meat for the first time.

I am not against shooting a spike but it's never really what I am after. For the same reasons as many others have mentioned, more meat and more chances to hunt. I would hate to end my season early and unless I was right out of meat I would rather not fill my tag than potentially have a short season.

I hundred percent agree with you twoSevenO, its about hunting not killing for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Nope. No does, cows or calves for me either. There is no challenge in it when shooting spikers and I dont do it for the meat alone so I pass.

they are easyier on the back...
    devil buck killer.

Petros65 Guest

Ive heard it said , dont pass up on day one what you would gladly take on the last day. Tag soup is never as tasty as spike deer lol.