Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Cam Suggestions

Re: Trail Cam Suggestions

It's not what you capture. It's what you miss.

Interesting comparison btw.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Where is everyone buying Bushnell and Browning cams for $120?
    On Cabela's the cheapest browning is $170 and they don't even seem to carry Bushnell.
    Cheapest SpyPoint is also $170.
    The Browning strike force $200 and dark ops $250 often come on sale for $120.

Many opinions on here. Like Highcountry said if you want pro advice on cams go to Trailcampro.com. Many factors such as trigger speed, recovery time, detection range and angle, battery life and the benefits of No Glow etc are explained very well. They have a first time buyers guide on there for the beginners + they review and sell all the mid to high quality cameras. Unless your putting up cameras in your backyard buying many cheap cameras isn't that great of advice. Driving hours to go check pics with fingers crossed that something didn't go wrong with that $75 camera isn't what I want to do. Fuel and batteries ain't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I run the stealth cam buy them in the 2 or 3 pack. I they work well until it gets really cold. I have read going to a lithium battery can help in cold weather
    I have always found the opposite with alkaline performing better (not draining as quickly) at colder temps but lithium lasting longer above freezing temps. I could be wrong. It would be interesting to find some real data. A brief google search showed mixed results.

I have a Moultrie and it takes fantastic pictures. $110 IIRC off of Amazon.ca. free shipping. I have it set up until spring on a nice spot. Can't wait to see what I get on it!

Quote Originally Posted by dblung View Post
    Many opinions on here. Like Highcountry said if you want pro advice on cams go to Trailcampro.com. Many factors such as trigger speed, recovery time, detection range and angle, battery life and the benefits of No Glow etc are explained very well. They have a first time buyers guide on there for the beginners + they review and sell all the mid to high quality cameras. Unless your putting up cameras in your backyard buying many cheap cameras isn't that great of advice. Driving hours to go check pics with fingers crossed that something didn't go wrong with that $75 camera isn't what I want to do. Fuel and batteries ain't cheap.
    Good info. There is some great advice in this post. Also, at https://www.trailcampro.com/collecti...camera-reviews you can review older models under the "Archived Trail Camera Reviews" tab. Cameras change from year to year. Lots of stores have great sales on last years models.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I have always found the opposite with alkaline performing better (not draining as quickly) at colder temps but lithium lasting longer above freezing temps. I could be wrong. It would be interesting to find some real data. A brief google search showed mixed results.
    Maybe you got a bad batch of lithiums. They should last exponentially longer than regular alkaline batteries in both warm and cold temps.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    It's not what you capture. It's what you miss.

Interesting comparison btw.
    I agree!

So how about YOU send me one of your standard cams and I'll run it against the Amazon one. Same tree. Same batteries. Same settings. And we see just how much the Amazon one misses out on.

If HBC votes that the difference is significant I return the cam and $50 for your trouble.

If HBC votes the difference is NOT significant, I keep the cam.

Deal??

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post

Maybe you got a bad batch of lithiums. They should last exponentially longer than regular alkaline batteries in both warm and cold temps.

Can you speak a little more about performance degradation in cold weather?

At what temp do you notice performance issues?
    Do you attribute them more to batteries going dormant due to cold, or cam itself?
    Do you find increased trigger time in the cold, or other issues?

Can you speak a little more about performance degradation in cold weather?

At what temp do you notice performance issues?
    Do you attribute them more to batteries going dormant due to cold, or cam itself?
    Do you find increased trigger time in the cold, or other issues?
    I brought the cold/drain issue up. All batteries drain faster below freezing. If I'm copying stuff off cams to my tablet at -15 I have to use a power pack. Same deal watching a movie at night on my cell phone at those temps, I have to leave it plugged in to get through half the movie.

I agree!

So how about YOU send me one of your standard cams and I'll run it against the Amazon one. Same tree. Same batteries. Same settings. And we see just how much the Amazon one misses out on.

If HBC votes that the difference is significant I return the cam and $50 for your trouble.

If HBC votes the difference is NOT significant, I keep the cam.

Deal??
    Take a deep breath and relax.

You do a lot of talking on certain topics when listening would be most beneficial.