Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Trail Cam Suggestions

Re: Trail Cam Suggestions

Bears love the smell and the rubber on some cameras they pretty much ate one of my brothers cams. I have 5 or 6 Camera with no bear troubles I do spray them with scent away also. I had a elk rubbing on my camera this year his muddy antler marks are still all over the camera.

My stealthcams work great until it’s cold I think it’s the battery even with 8 new batteries it’s still slow to wake up and take pics. I will try next fall with lithium I’m going to get the pics and take down my last camera tonight will see what we got. I love trail cameras really fun gets ya out there

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Question: I am just getting into Cams myself and love this (albeit surprisingly emotional at times) thread. Thanks for all the knowledge being shared.

I read a lot about bears going after the cams. I apologize if that is a stupid question, but: How do they know they are there? Do bears see IR? Some cams are advertised as "low glow", can I assume that some of the "IR" LEDs are spilling into the visible spectrum?
    Eyes, ears, and nose is how bears find your cam lol

Joking aside animals are very observant and you will find that lots of animals check out the cam it self. You will get your fair share of close up nose pics from all different species

I have several cameras . The clearest pictures and the easiest to use by far are the primose Cameras (proof series) . I have four , ranging in price from $70 to $200 depending on pixels .Left in the bush 10 months of the year. They haven't failed me yet

I've had several and have found that all the "cheap" cameras" are just that, cheap. I keep my cameras out 24/7 and have found that the ones I've had that cost up to $200 just don't last. They start to fail after their warranty or sooner then you have to deal with warranty issues which can be a nightmare. I did some research to find a better cam with some reliability qualities and came up with the "Reconyx". I paid the money. It was expensive but the reliability and battery life is incredible. Do you want to spend $100 to $200 every year or do you want to spend $600 to $700 once. Mine has been in the field now for over 3 years or more and is still going strong. Never had an issue yet. The cheaper brands I've had are Moultrie and the latest is Primos. Could have bought a Reconyx for the money wasted on those. The only issue would be putting it in a spot where it won't get stolen.

Ya lots and cheap. I usually get stealth cams when they are on sale for a bundle of two or three myself

Quote Originally Posted by Beartooth View Post
    I've had several and have found that all the "cheap" cameras" are just that, cheap. I keep my cameras out 24/7 and have found that the ones I've had that cost up to $200 just don't last. They start to fail after their warranty or sooner then you have to deal with warranty issues which can be a nightmare. I did some research to find a better cam with some reliability qualities and came up with the "Reconyx". I paid the money. It was expensive but the reliability and battery life is incredible. Do you want to spend $100 to $200 every year or do you want to spend $600 to $700 once. Mine has been in the field now for over 3 years or more and is still going strong. Never had an issue yet. The cheaper brands I've had are Moultrie and the latest is Primos. Could have bought a Reconyx for the money wasted on those. The only issue would be putting it in a spot where it won't get stolen.
    LOL Yah bears love those expensive cameras. They must taste better

Never had a bear eat mine yet. Had bears stick their face in them and have had them chew a bit. Mostly they leave them alone. Your bears must be starving..

Never had a bear eat mine yet. Had bears stick their face in them and have had them chew a bit. Mostly they leave them alone. Your bears must be starving.. My last camera I bought was a Primos Proof cam 02. Crapped out after warranty was up, like all of the cheaper cams I've had. I really believe that a more reliable camera can be made but they aren't because they know hunters have lots of money to spend.

This is an elks eye. Nosey bugger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000852.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	7494  

Bushnell, tasco, and Simmons are all the same. Return one (I return one every year or two when the seals let go), and there's no telling which of the 3 you get back.
    Moultries are heavy and big, and seem to have the slowest trigger time, but they seem to be the most dependable. I've had one buried in snow for a couple months, and work fine when the snow melted. I got a lot of videos of the back half of a marten, the back half of courgars, the tips of wolves tails, etc.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.