Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Cam Suggestions

Trail Cam Suggestions

Looking at picking up a trail cam or 2 to prep for the upcoming season. Any suggestions or reviews?
    Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble. (Job 14:1 KJV)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Trail Cam Suggestions

Lots and cheap! Just my 2 cents.

You definitely get what you pay for. Cheap cams are usually unreliable cams. Moultrie, Stealthcam etc. would not be my first choice. I run Browning and Bushnell only now, got rid of all my other models. They are reasonably priced and are consistent from trigger speed to quality.

This site is a great resource for comparing cams.

https://www.trailcampro.com/collecti...camera-reviews
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

On second thought what do i know! Spend as much as you can afford on a high quality camera and put it in a magical spot. That should get the job done. Sorry about the bad advice earlier .

Some of my most reliable cams have been the cheap $40 ancient tasco special.. in the cold no issues and battery lasts forever ... where as a couple of my u-ways have froze up and the battery drains in a hurry... start with something mid range if you think spending $450 on a camera is within budget go nuts . And no the wind did not trigger the uway to take a million pics for battery drain

I go for lots and cheap too. Simmons Whitetail were some of the best I have run into but they don't make them anymore. I have run a bunch year round with few issues.

I do have a couple expensive ones. A Bushnell and a Browning that are excellent video quality with sound. I would have never bought them for myself but they were gifted to me.

I have 2 or 3 Stealthcam's kicking around. Not very impressed with the video quality or trigger speed on those but battery life is pretty darn good. Fairly reliable too I guess.

I ran one higher end moultrie and it packed it in after about 2 weeks.

I'd be in the same boat if I didnt already have a bunch of cams. I'd probably order some sketchy stuff off Amazon or DX LOL

Go for lots and go cheap. Unless you make a living off social media and need the highest quality videos, why bother spending $200 on one cam?

I have been running gamepak and apeman ones off Amazon and they have been excellent. One hung up from June to December, got 460 video clips and seemed to stay watertight just fine.

Like everything, the Chinese have been quite good at copying the better known brands and making cheaper alternatives.

The amazon ones are usually $75 but I just picked up 2 more for $55 on a 1 day sale.They record up to 1080p and with reasonable quality as well. (Stealth cam ones are useless at higher resolutions due to terrible interpolation). They do record sound as well which is super neat. My cheap stealth cam do not.

Also, they have screens on them so viewing pics is very easy. This particularly handy when setting the cam and checking that it is aimed correctly. Saves me a bunch of time.

Trigger speed is 0.3-0.8 seconds, as advertised. I cant confirm that other than to say I'm satisfied with it. Not too many deer getting caught on their way out of the the frame.

They have been WAY better than the cheap Stealthcam ones.

If your budget allows get the expensive ones, they will surely be better but at $55 each, I'm gonna stick to the cheap ones.
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 01-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Does anyone have ones that are proven to work in minus 25 with no issues?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cat catcher View Post
    Does anyone have ones that are proven to work in minus 25 with no issues?
    Thanks
    Mine are often -10 to -15 ... I am sure they have seen -25 a few times. The batteries don't last as long in the cold. Lithium is good for moderate temps but alkaline holds up better in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Go for lots and go cheap. Unless you make a living off social media and need the highest quality videos, why bother spending $200 on one cam?
    There's a lot more to a camera than getting a clear pic or video. Lots of cameras will advertise fast trigger speeds or high megapixel ratings which are really just inflated from interpolation. Nothing more frustrating than only having the a** end of a deer or elk on your screen. You can usually find Brownings or Bushnells on for $120-$150, often cheaper on clearance sales from different sites.

Most guys don't have a clue what they miss when running cheaper cams, especially if they only run it on picture mode. I know because I was one of those guys for a few years. Bought lots for cheap when I was on a student budget. Finally pulled the pin on a better model Browning and ran it on video next to an entry level cam. Couldn't believe how much more that camera picked up than the one right beside it. Sold off the others and started accumulating some better inventory.

You don't need to break the bank to get into higher quality cameras. They have better trigger speed, detection range, image quality and are much more consistent than an entry level camera. Worth it if you really want to know what's out there.

Older model Browning. They have only improved since then.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."