I've never had any issues at cold temperatures. I started off running the moultries. I liked the C batteries. I was really hesitant to move to the AA battery models.

The Moultries still work but, I've converted to the Browning cams and they are superior to most of the others. They go on sale enough that they aren't a bad price. Better quality, faster wake up time (0.4 sec I believe). The AA's run well in the cold. Most of all, the cams are lighter and the quality of picture at dusk, is better.

I just want to make one more comment on trail cams. When yours comes with a strap to mount it on the tree, take that strap and find another use for it. Everyone, use bailing wire to attach your camera to the trees. You won't regret it. Less visible toward theft, more secure on the tree, animals won't bump it around, less scent on the wire than on the wide strap that spent the off season with your gear.

And I take my cameras and repaint them to more closely match the bark on the trees I typically use. A lot of the browning cams come in a bit a grey tone. I paint them dark brown and black with a bit of dark green.