Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting experiment, trying a new meat

Interesting experiment, trying a new meat

So where I work is on a shutdown, so very little activity. There's a warehouse area with bay doors left open all the time, so it gets infested with pigeons. Got the OK to help eliminate them while on watchman shift. Used an air rifle, and knocked down a dozen or so.
    Got to thinking, seems like a waste. Squab is a delicacy. Other countries they eat them, so WTF. Picked 4 bigger ones and cut the breasts off them, skin off, washed and froze them. Birds guts had seeds and such in them, it's a semi rural area so not dumpster divers.
    Meat looked red like deer meat. Nice texture.
    Bro in law swung by after the pub last night, asks me if I've eaten them yet, as I texted him about it.
    Lets do this! He says.
    Thawed them, wash in milk, dip in flour and seasoning salt and fried in butter. Sliced thin, and OMG. Taste delicious. Like a cross between chicken and deer. No gamey taste or weirdness. Also, I didn't die or get sick the next day so that's good.
    Anyone else tried them? I read that they're similar to doves in taste. Any other recipe ideas? Steven Rinella cooks dove poppers with a slice of jalapeno and wrapped in bacon, that's next I think.

Also; haters gonna hate, try to keep it positive.

2. Site Sponsor

Petros65 Guest

Re: Interesting experiment, trying a new meat

Good stuff mate. When I lived in South Africa in my youth we used to eat pigeon meat all the time. Well worth it.

Thumbs up Re: Interesting experiment, trying a new meat

Shot lots of them when we lived in Saskatchewan & Alberta.
    Many farmers were more than willing to let you hunt their land, if "you took care of the damned pigeons infesting the grain silo(s)."
    So of course we did.
    And of course we ate them.
    And they were marvelous!!

We generally did what you did - breaded and fried.
    Other things we tried were various grouse / pheasant recipes too.
    All turned out more than fine.

Enjoy the free & yummy grits!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by bacon_overlord View Post
    So where I work is on a shutdown, so very little activity. There's a warehouse area with bay doors left open all the time, so it gets infested with pigeons. Got the OK to help eliminate them while on watchman shift. Used an air rifle, and knocked down a dozen or so.
    Got to thinking, seems like a waste. Squab is a delicacy. Other countries they eat them, so WTF. Picked 4 bigger ones and cut the breasts off them, skin off, washed and froze them. Birds guts had seeds and such in them, it's a semi rural area so not dumpster divers.
    Meat looked red like deer meat. Nice texture.
    Bro in law swung by after the pub last night, asks me if I've eaten them yet, as I texted him about it.
    Lets do this! He says.
    Thawed them, wash in milk, dip in flour and seasoning salt and fried in butter. Sliced thin, and OMG. Taste delicious. Like a cross between chicken and deer. No gamey taste or weirdness. Also, I didn't die or get sick the next day so that's good.
    Anyone else tried them? I read that they're similar to doves in taste. Any other recipe ideas? Steven Rinella cooks dove poppers with a slice of jalapeno and wrapped in bacon, that's next I think.

Also; haters gonna hate, try to keep it positive.
    What could people possibly hate about eating them?? They are an introduced species, over populating many areas and they taste great. Could be one of the most sustainable meats out there??

Ive eaten squab in fancy restaurants, but havent killed my own. Wouldnt mind trying them though.

Great idea! I've never really looked at them as a food source but why the hell not?

I'm no birdologist but I can't imagine they are much different than doves.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

When a young man, we would take the bus to Second Narrows grain elevators. Slingshots and a bag full of marbles. Rocks when the marbles ran out. Were lots of pigeons there. A dozen or so pigeons in a sack and off to the bus stop.
    First bus driver asked"what's in the sack" better take the next bus or walk. Plucked the birds, into a roaster, bacon strips on top, BBQ sauce as desired. Pigeons are a little dry. Great eating.

shot my first one at 13 out of my buddies barn while his dad was not home, plucked it and cleaned it and cooked it over an open fire near the farm house, delicious right down to the legs. Only problem was we didn't pick up all the feathers and I was grounded from Kenny's place for 3 weeks cause they were his dad's pets. Still enjoying wild ones 56 yrs later!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

The ones that cant fly are even better

Squabs are it.

As a kid I used to raise and eat pigeons. The best eating ones were the young just before they left the nest. Delicious!