Thread: Rabbit, Snowshoe Hare with Kids - Suggestions?

Rabbit, Snowshoe Hare with Kids - Suggestions?

Hello and happy belated new year,

New(ish) to the LML , first season coming up and excited to get into the black bears here. I have never really gotten into small-game but now my kids are old enough and want to go out with me, so this year I made it a goal and try to take them rabbit/snowshoe hare hunting.

I was hoping to find an area that is young-kid-accessible (not more than a few hours of hiking) with a chance to find "wabbits"? I don't want to pick them off the road, do want the kids to have a bit of a hike to get the experience. I read some people suggested the Coq, are there any other options? Around Squamish maybe?

Any hints or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    M

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rabbit, Snowshoe Hare with Kids - Suggestions?

Not even remotely familiar with the areas down there. But if you’re hunting rabbits with young kids along, be sure to take shots that kill them instantly, if you wing em they can really make a racket that can be disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by barry1974w View Post
    Not even remotely familiar with the areas down there. But if you’re hunting rabbits with young kids along, be sure to take shots that kill them instantly, if you wing em they can really make a racket that can be disturbing
    Fair comment...

Happened to a buddy of mine when he took his nephew out. He made a marginal hit and the rabbit started squealing crawling around. Turned the kid right off, nightmares, the whole works, he never took up hunting after that. I don’t know how old your kids are, but he was 7ish at the time.
    That being said, I’ve been taking my eight year old for years. He was weirded out the first time he saw a grouse doing the funky, but after I explained what was happening he was ok with it. So far we’ve been lucky and haven’t had anything make noise. But he has been warned when we go rabbit hunting that things sometimes happen.

2nd above comments.

in addition having the hare in my observations are at the botyom of there cycle and region 2 has the lowest population of them of all regions.

you may find some schedule c rabbits along the fraser river dykes..you will have to confirm species as there are also native rabbits that are there and no season on them. fraser valley speacial area rules will need to be followed...

waterfowl hunting is a much easyier and viable filler hunt for tge fraser valley...scouting for deer pockets is a great excuse to get out aswell and probably the best use of some rec time..agricultural areas will all hold lots of coyotes.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    2nd above comments.

in addition having the hare in my observations are at the botyom of there cycle and region 2 has the lowest population of them of all regions.

you may find some schedule c rabbits along the fraser river dykes..you will have to confirm species as there are also native rabbits that are there and no season on them. fraser valley speacial area rules will need to be followed...

waterfowl hunting is a much easyier and viable filler hunt for tge fraser valley...scouting for deer pockets is a great excuse to get out aswell and probably the best use of some rec time..agricultural areas will all hold lots of coyotes.
    Yeah I get that and don't disagree on the "better alternatives", but this is meant to be for the kids and i feel they are a bit young for waterfowl.. shotguns, marsh, etc....

Besides... while I have personally never been (new to the area) but from what I read the terrain is quite technical and "advanced" even for adult hunters?

a hay feild with a pond is pretty safe start just get permission.
    both my kids have been waterfowling with me since they could walk...just bue them ear muffs that fit...bring them some snacks and let them play with the duck call...great time.

good luck on your hare quest but i doubt much action...
    i have only shot two hare in region two and both times was because i didnt bring enough lunch...
    1up sylvester road...1 up towards whistler...
    in thousands of hiking hours have seen very few...

now all interior regions normally in the evening they line the roads in some areas its not uncommon too see a hundred a hour in august...

ps hare are at the bottom of there cycle

I'm headed out this morning with my 6 year old boy to try an bag a few snowshoe hares. We stopped counting at 60 one evening last year. I didnt have my .22 with us though