Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glove recommendations?

Glove recommendations?

Need to get some new gloves for hunting. Figure that it is maybe a good time of year to find gear on sale. Spend most of my time in region 2 - lots of rain - but hoping to get further north and this year, which would probably mean colder weather. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Also, Have heard some people using neoprene gloves in cold rain - think wetsuit material...anyone tried these?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Glove recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Need to get some new gloves for hunting. Figure that it is maybe a good time of year to find gear on sale. Spend most of my time in region 2 - lots of rain - but hoping to get further north and this year, which would probably mean colder weather. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Also, Have heard some people using neoprene gloves in cold rain - think wetsuit material...anyone tried these?
    I have a pair of neoprene gloves, I like them for quading but that’s it, it’s like wearing a brick on each hand-perhaps thinner ones would be better though.I recently picked up a pair of the Sitka coldfront gloves for cold, wet weather and have been very happy with them the few times Iv had them out. Frigging pricy though.

Neoprene is awful unless it's actually used with a wet suit. Stay away from that crap for hunting.

Not that warm for how bulky they are and zero breathability

my go to gloves are the 99 cent magic minis (there are some that are more like 2 bucks that fit bigger hands)...I have about 5 pairs kicking around in my gear and buy at least a couple of pairs each fall...they seem to be all I need in weather down to -5...then I throw a pair of those glove/mitts the folding mitt flap with the finger tips missing (often I remove the one on my shooting hand as things start to look promising)

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    my go to gloves are the 99 cent magic minis (there are some that are more like 2 bucks that fit bigger hands)...I have about 5 pairs kicking around in my gear and buy at least a couple of pairs each fall...they seem to be all I need in weather down to -5...then I throw a pair of those glove/mitts the folding mitt flap with the finger tips missing (often I remove the one on my shooting hand as things start to look promising)
    Similar to what I use, I got a pair of browning skin tight shooting gloves when wholesale was selling out that are very thin but do keep the wind off, then I add wool gloves with the cut off fingers and flap if it gets too cold.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo

I have neoprene gloves for waterfowling but only use them to lay out and grab decoys. They will keep you dry but there is no feeling to them.

Will not bother with neoprene. Probably try to find some thinner shooting gloves as mentioned above and some thicker wool ones for over top to keep in the pack. Those Sitka gloves look nice, but $200 for gloves is a bit too much. Appreciate the feedback though. Tough to find a balance between keeping the hands warm enough to use and not having a glove that totally limits dexterity.

Forget the neoprene - its just a bad idea for gloves. I wouldn't even recommend for fishing.

Simple wool is very good, even in rain. Wool works well down to -10C if you are still-hunting.

If you sit in a blind or stand, you will want something real warm because you are just not circulating well while sitting/waiting.

I have a pair of Firstlite mittens (grizzly?). I'm really happy with them, plenty of usefulness, but pricey. Which brings me to another point, i prefer mittens over gloves - mittens are generally a better fit for my hands and keep them warmer than gloves. Some mittens have flaps to allow for finger use which is handy for hunting. Poke around and you'll find stuff.

You will be hard pressed find one pair of gloves that will work well in reg 2 and cold northern climates.

Definitely look into a couple of pairs.

sealskinz gloves are decent and kast steelhead gloves are the best I've used for waterproof and dexterity, I wear a thin wool liner under them when fishing in the cold

hestra 3 finger ski gloves are my favourite cold weather glove
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster