Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glove recommendations?

Re: Glove recommendations?

for warmer months I just use a leather palm type mech gloves for most my hunting, once it starts getting cold I haven't found a glove that actually stays waterproof and you can still use a trigger so I always end up going back to my fleece gloves that have the mitt flap that cover all your fingers then pull back and its open finger tip. With them they provide some warmth when wet and dry fairly fast. not that expensive either. they also make ones for archery for your release to stick through.

This season I used the Camoskinz really thin gloves from Cabelas just to keep the wind off my hands. They do get wet but I found my hands were able to warm up after the initial cold. Better than bare skin. They were thin enough that I could reload pretty easily but they are not hardy enough to last the season. My shotgun was already tearing them apart. Whatever I get next will be cheap again as I tend to lose gloves fairly often.

There was a CBC article about maritimers trying to revive trigger mittens (?) .. these were mittens that had the trigger finger separate from the rest of the mitten. I like that idea but wonder if I could still reload as well with a half-mitten.

Looks like they are also called Glommits. Would look useful for single shot type hunting but I don't think are dextrous enough for waterfowling.
    Last edited by silveragent; 01-09-2019 at 11:57 AM.

I have a pair of First Lite shale gloves, they are merino wool with leather palm and finger tips. I find them warm enough for down to -3 or so when moving, but colder than that or stationary you'd want something warmer over the top. The best part about them is the leather is thin enough that you can actually feel what you are touching, I can't stand a glove that removes all sense of feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Russell View Post
    I have a pair of Firstlite mittens (grizzly?). I'm really happy with them, plenty of usefulness, but pricey. Which brings me to another point, i prefer mittens over gloves - mittens are generally a better fit for my hands and keep them warmer than gloves. Some mittens have flaps to allow for finger use which is handy for hunting. Poke around and you'll find stuff.
    Do you find the single finger on the grizzly glove gives enough dexterity for shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You will be hard pressed find one pair of gloves that will work well in reg 2 and cold northern climates.

Definitely look into a couple of pairs.
    I think this will be the case

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    sealskinz gloves are decent and kast steelhead gloves are the best I've used for waterproof and dexterity, I wear a thin wool liner under them when fishing in the cold

hestra 3 finger ski gloves are my favourite cold weather glove
    Have a few friends that use hestra gloves skiing.
    Never thought about trying a fishing glove, the Kast gloves look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by silveragent View Post
    There was a CBC article about maritimers trying to revive trigger mittens (?) .. these were mittens that had the trigger finger separate from the rest of the mitten. I like that idea but wonder if I could still reload as well with a half-mitten.

Looks like they are also called Glommits. Would look useful for single shot type hunting but I don't think are dextrous enough for waterfowling.
    Have seen similar design in bigger gloves online (Firstlite Grizzly), haven't tried it though.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherdoG View Post
    I have a pair of First Lite shale gloves, they are merino wool with leather palm and finger tips. I find them warm enough for down to -3 or so when moving, but colder than that or stationary you'd want something warmer over the top. The best part about them is the leather is thin enough that you can actually feel what you are touching, I can't stand a glove that removes all sense of feel.
    I think I will end up with 2 pairs. Have you found the Shale glove quite durable?

I've run a pair of Kuiu Yukon Pro's on the Island for the past 3 seasons. I'm hunting in really wet conditions and I have an issue with my hands getting easily cold unless I'm hiking hard.

They aren't perfect (or cheap) but they are the best I've been able to find to date. With the cuff cinched down tight they can stay waterproof for several hours in everything up to a torrential downpour and I can still shoot a bolt action rifle accurately with them on. Not sure I'd be able to fiddle with super high dexterity tasks with them on thought and that means opening the Velcro cuff which is unfortunately far from quiet.

I'm likely going to order a pair of their expedition gloves to try next season as they are supposed to be similar but a bit warmer.

I've tried neoprene, wool fleece, and other allegedly waterproof gloves with poor success. I've had a number of hunts ruined over the years by having my hands get so cold I couldn't use them unless I started hiking super fast to get warm (and then that's too noisy). The only other gloves I found useful in terms of waterproofness were what I run for steelhead fishing (Kast is the brand) but with a white back on them they aren't great in the camo department.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger.270 View Post
    I've run a pair of Kuiu Yukon Pro's on the Island for the past 3 seasons. I'm hunting in really wet conditions and I have an issue with my hands getting easily cold unless I'm hiking hard.

They aren't perfect (or cheap) but they are the best I've been able to find to date. With the cuff cinched down tight they can stay waterproof for several hours in everything up to a torrential downpour and I can still shoot a bolt action rifle accurately with them on. Not sure I'd be able to fiddle with super high dexterity tasks with them on thought and that means opening the Velcro cuff which is unfortunately far from quiet.

I'm likely going to order a pair of their expedition gloves to try next season as they are supposed to be similar but a bit warmer.

I've tried neoprene, wool fleece, and other allegedly waterproof gloves with poor success. I've had a number of hunts ruined over the years by having my hands get so cold I couldn't use them unless I started hiking super fast to get warm (and then that's too noisy). The only other gloves I found useful in terms of waterproofness were what I run for steelhead fishing (Kast is the brand) but with a white back on them they aren't great in the camo department.
    thanks for the info on these. Look like a nice glove

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post

I think I will end up with 2 pairs. Have you found the Shale glove quite durable?
    I haven't torture tested them, but in normal light use(they aren't work gloves) they have held up nicely for a few months. Full disclosure, I use them mostly when walking, driving, and cleaning snow off the car. They have enough dexterity in the fingers that I can easily use my door keys, use the car infotainment system, and handling firearms it's as close to no glove as possible(with a glove).

One thing though, they are a light goat leather so they will shown signs of wear early, but it doesn't mean they are close to worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedust View Post
    Do you find the single finger on the grizzly glove gives enough dexterity for shooting?

I think this will be the case

Have a few friends that use hestra gloves skiing.
    Never thought about trying a fishing glove, the Kast gloves look interesting.

Have seen similar design in bigger gloves online (Firstlite Grizzly), haven't tried it though.

i won't shoot with the glove on, with my rifle. Not saying it can't be done, but I prefer 100% dexterity and feel when I have my finger on the trigger. But I can strip the glove off quite easily and because they are harnessed on your wrist by a lanyard they won't fall (from a tree stand for instance).

If there's one thing that I have found over the many years of hunting is that you can never have to many pairs of gloves while on a hunting trip. I always bring several different types. From your basic cheap leather gloves, to extreme cold weather mitts. You never know what type of weather you will encounter, so it's best to have all the bases covered IMO.

My glove of choice is leather. For 90% of my hunting, I am wearing them. Tough and cuts the wind. When soaked and frozen I just change to a dry pair. Wrangler type. I can't think of another type of glove that you can go through a patch of devils club while packing your meat out of a hell hole and not be bothered.