Thread: Leupold Vx Freedom?

Leupold Vx Freedom?

I’ve been shopping for a scope for a new to me rifle, I noticed no one is selling the VX2 anymore but there’s a new “VX Freedom” that is being advertised. Anyone know anything about this scope? Is it comparable to the VX2 or is it more of a “budget” scope comparable to the vx1?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leupold Vx Freedom?

I put one on a Tikka last year and did a little shooting with it, pretty decent scope for the $. Leupold blended the Vx1 and Vx2 into one model, the Freedom (yeehaw Murica) to compete with Vortex, Nikon and Bushnell
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Check the turret adjustments if they are 1/4 or 1/2 MOA. I recently picked up the Rifleman when it was on sale at Cabela's and it's a 1/2 MOA adjustment. Rifleman and Freedom are at the lower end of the Leupold line but lifetime warranty. VX1 and VX-2 equivalents and that's plenty good for my skill level. Plus you feel better about owning a Leupold even if it is their lower end and some claim the quality not as good as they once were. New glass is always good.

They're 1/4moa, and the rifleman is too. Just a friction adjustment
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    They're 1/4moa, and the rifleman is too. Just a friction adjustment
    In your opinion then is it on par with say the Diamondback?

I'd take a Crossfire over a Diamondback (Dbk has brutal eye relief). The recently discontinued Diamondback HP was better than a Vx2, although it is heavier optic. Vortex likely to come out with a new scope later this month to fill the void of the Dbk HP.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    I'd take a Crossfire over a Diamondback (Dbk has brutal eye relief). The recently discontinued Diamondback HP was better than a Vx2, although it is heavier optic. Vortex likely to come out with a new scope later this month to fill the void of the Dbk HP.
    Interesting, I was always under the impression that the crossfires were vortex’s bottom of the barrel scopes

They are, but I'd take one over a Diamondback if its being mounted on anything bigger than a 243.