Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Krag Dwellers Part 1

Re: Krag Dwellers Part 1

Best story and pics in a while. Thanks!

Good read bud!

Great Job, Great Story.
    That photo of you with the billie brings back memories!
    The way the Ridgeline runs down to the point and then obviously down the mountain etc, and on the side of slope like you were, almost to the exact distance, was exactly how it looked for me with my billie.
    Its like a picture of the past for me, and brings back some fond memories of me, my dad , and my cousin from Germany,
    who both helped out in the hunt that week.
    So thanks for that!

great story it is the type of reading that makes me want to hunt goats.

Well i’m glad people enjoyed the adventure. i drafted up part two today hopfully have it posted later this week when i get a slack day.

Great story!

I too hunted a goat in the mountains on an overnight trip some years ago in the Bella Coola region, and it was extraordinary in so many ways. I'd love to do it again....

And, like you, my goat soaked up 4 rounds of 180gr 30-06 at a reasonable distance (before I had a LRF) with barely flinching and I was starting to think there was something wrong with my rifle, or my shooting... it was the 5th round that eventually dropped it. And, like you, upon examination, there were 5 shots neatly placed right in the boiler room - tough buggers these goats.

thanks for posting!

~John

They are tough!!!!
    Shot mine at extreme close range!
    (Wasn't sure what part of the goat I was aimed at)
    Each time I shot, you could just see the goat "soak up the shot" (best way to explain it).
    The Hair just puffed up whee the bullets entered, and each time, the legs just shuttered slightly.
    But damn, the thing just slowly walked away.
    Each step, another round went into him.
    Each round, he just took another step!
    (It was odd for sure).
    Finally my rifle had no more ammo.
    5 Rounds, all behind the shoulder for the most part.
    So, he went from like 15 feet, and walked about another 15 feet with bullets in him.
    And then out of sight, over the spine of the mountain.
    Next time I saw him, he was rolling like a boulder out of control.
    If it was for one lonely boulder, in the middle of nowhere, that goat would have rolled 3000 feet, atleast!
    Instead, I had about 1000 feet to drop down to him.
    Boy was I lucky.
    Man, was that goat tough!

Awesome tail!! Goat hunts always seem to be an adventure.
    Thanks for sharing your hunt.
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

Part II The expert amatures

As the new year kicked off the usual planning for the next season goat trip was quickly underway. Being an Leh hunt we made our applications hoping for a tag. With odds that usually wouldn't allow a back to back seasons we didn't expect success but could only see. We make plans as if we are going and even have a GOS goat plan B picked out if leh fails. And surprise I drew the tag. We are excited to be back on for our second goat. We start upgrading gear and chasing the white rabbit of pounds and ounces and even some version of a fitness routine. Meals are improving and we are feeling like serious mountain hunters now. Our confidence is high once again since we have now successfully taken a goat out of a zone with low success rates. We are confident that we shouldn't really need to do much scouting, we know where to go and simple hunt. After all last time our scouted goat was scooped out from underneath us so might as well start fresh when we get there.

We make it to the head waters of our valley a bit later than expected due to some mechanical issues as well as hwy construction. The old trail in is now in rough shape due to heavy spring run off and vegetation growth on the trail. It is now a struggle to get in with the quads to where we had previously driven the Suzuki. We also have a third member joining us. We take the quads in a far as possible and then embark on foot to the base of the mountains. We Reach the base of the rockslide and decide to make camp and continue in the AM. We wake to a skiff of snow in the valley and after a usuall breakfast of oatmeal we fill our water bottles and head up the slide.