Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle for predator hunting

Rifle for predator hunting

I've been invited to go predator (coyote) hunting. A good family friend has 2 rifles he's looking to get rid of and has given my both to take out to the range and try out.

First rifle is a really nice looking Browning A-Bolt is 7mm that's topped with a Bausch and Lomb 3-9x40 scope. The rifle is in really nice shape, but has a really long barrel (I'd guess something like 26" long).....not that I think it matters, but thought it might not be ideal in case I take it hunting in the bush and get caught up on branches with such a long barrel. This rifle has been hunted with.....does have a little bluing lose, some bumps and bruises on the stock, but he says it hasn't see a bullet fly if about 15years.

Second rifle is a Marlin XL7 in 30.06. It has the nutmeg laminate stock (which looks awesome IMO) and the bluing is 99%. On top of that, it has the nicest trigger of any rifle I have every shot..... it has an accu-style trigger......absolutely zero lag, and a super nice break. Nicer trigger then any of my rifles. This rifle looks gorgeous and I doubt it's been hunted with. And it's topped with a Nikon Prostaff II 4-12x40 which isn't to bad.

My friend doesn't really do a whole lot of hunting anymore due to age and has more rifles that I'll probably ever own. He told me that if I liked one (or both) to let him know what I'd be willing to pay him for that (wish he would have just told me what he wanted instead).

So here's my question;
    For predator hunting, which rifle would you choose? And what would be a fair price to pay?

Mike
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I don't have an attitude problem; you must have a perception problem.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rifle for predator hunting

For predator hunting your best bet would be a 223 . My son has even used to get his first buck two years ago and his first bear this last year ( smaller one ). Stay with 45 - 55 grain . Not a lot of damage to the hide . Good for cats , coyote and wolves .

What rifles do you currently own?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Not ideal pred rifles. I’d choose the 7mm and load it light and fast. You’re gonna blowup coyotes you may as well do it in style.

Or buy a 22-250

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    What rifles do you currently own?
    Currently own an Xbolt 300wsm, Marlin 336, Savage .22, and a couple shotguns
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Not ideal pred rifles. I’d choose the 7mm and load it light and fast. You’re gonna blowup coyotes you may as well do it in style.

Or buy a 22-250
    Yeah, I figured that these 2 calibers might be to big for predators. I did see some 125gr ammo for the 30.06 so I thought maybe that would be alright. But, I know there a ton more knowledge on here then I have about the topic

Quote Originally Posted by 5jackz View Post
    For predator hunting your best bet would be a 223 . My son has even used to get his first buck two years ago and his first bear this last year ( smaller one ). Stay with 45 - 55 grain . Not a lot of damage to the hide . Good for cats , coyote and wolves .
    223 for wolves? Hmmm

This wolf didn't like the 223

Not an ideal wolf cartridge mind you, but at moderate distances and with bullets that don't come unglued on a gopher, it can work

Anyways, of the options given I'd stick to your 300wsm. Good luck out there
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 5jackz View Post
    For predator hunting your best bet would be a 223 . Stay with 45 - 55 grain . Not a lot of damage to the hide . Good for cats , coyote and wolves .
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

223 rem would be my choice