Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Arrow Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Where's Pemby's share.
    It would be his first!!
    Ain't that the truth!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Great thread Nog, way to go.
    Why Thank You Sir!
    Was simply a natural evolution from the longest shot thread, and perhaps more fitting for most.
    Some rather interesting encounters you have had over the years btw!!

Be nice if folks would consider elaborating just a little on some of the more interesting ones.
    Certainly appears to be a lot of untold tales out there...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Great thread.

No great story to add-- hard to compare a mule deer at 15 yards with a rifle to point blank grizzlies and charging wolverines.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

My first black bear was only 6-8 yards and approaching fast. He caught a back eddie or swirl of wind and was booking it away from us - or so he thought.

Sure glad I hit him in the neck and shoulder because there was no aiming and no time for a second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Was simply a natural evolution from the longest shot thread, and perhaps more fitting for most.
    Some rather interesting encounters you have had over the years
    I thought the same thing reading through the longest shot thread. 70 yards and 40 yard follow up was my furthest (at least that I connected on) Short distance is more common in my neck of the woods.

I'm fresh out of big game close shot stories (got some fun close grouse ones if it comes to that)

I haven't told the 7 yard bear "attempt" in a few years though, so I'll lay it down for anyone who hasn't already read it.

First attempt at bear hunting ever. We just went and sat in a spot I thought was good in the evening on the last day of the season, June 15. Totally casual hunt. We just thought it would be nice to get out for a quick spring hunting experience as we missed hunting.

After sitting for half an hour or so, we hear something ploughing and cracking through the brush/deadfall 20 yards away coming towards us. We're sitting in the middle of a tiny little feeding pocket.

Our adrenaline is jacked through the roof. We have never bear hunted before and we know in only a matter of seconds, we are going to have an up close and personal experience. What am I going to do if it's a sow with cubs? Yell "hey bear" and surprise them in close proximity? I had no idea what was going to happen, just that something was about to happen the only control I had in the situation was a rifle. One rifle between the two of us and I think caddisgirl had some bear spray.

Anyway out walks this boar. I'm sitting on top of this stump and I have him in my cross hairs right away and hoping for a broadside shot. At 7 yards, I had the perfect shot lined up and squeezed the trigger. CLICK. It was the loudest sound I have heard LOL. The bear paused, jumped in the air and did a 180, paused again then bolted same way it came... thump-thump-crash-thump-crash. It went on what seemed like forever. I think he was heading for a different time zone.

We left and came back an hour later for last light, hoping he might have come back but no such luck.

Since it was my first bear hunt and last day of the season, though I had no expectations going in, I sure was obsessed from that point. I wondered if that was a once in a life time deal, having a bear that close... the misfire, and those events coinsiding

The very next spring we learned that neither of those events, nor these events coinciding were a once in a lifetime ordeal. It happened again... another repeat story (featuring close range misfire, bear coming to check out the sound, close range live shot and caddisgirl falling and breaking her nose) I might tell that one again if there is demand. Though that was the last misfire (same box of ammo maybe?) we ever had, the scenario plays out time and time again except we connect, no misfires in the last 5 years thankfully
    Last edited by caddisguy; 01-07-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
    Great thread Nog, way to go.

Dominate Male Wolf with Bow at 11 yds, from a pack of 6 min. that circled me about 20 mins, missed dominate female at 35 yds when she jumped the string
    Black bear with Bow at 8 yds
    Bull moose with Bow at 11 yds and 18 yds
    Blacktail buck with Bow called in to 9 ft
    Mountain Goat at 33 ft with Bow
    Bull moose at 6 ft with 30-06 180gr Nosler Partition, buddy missed a head shot at 25 ish yards and it ran straight at us, shot at 6 ft and crumpled at our feet
    Bull Bison at 9 and 20 yds with 30-06
    180gr Nosler Partition
    Coyote at 10 yds with 30-06 180 gr partition
    there's gotta be a story or three in this collection!
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Charging 3x3 Muley. Shot at 15'. Piled up in front of me at 10'.

Driving into town just after sunset and we saw a few mulies. We slowed down and there was a young 4 point right on the berm off the shoulder. He just stood there chewing on a small pine. We got out of the truck and looked at each other. I could hear him chewing the top off the tree. Figured it would never get easier so bang, flop. Meat in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by oddsix View Post
    Charging 3x3 Muley. Shot at 15'. Piled up in front of me at 10'.
    Had that happen!
    So has another hunting partner of mine.
    I had helped gut a buck the day before and must of got a lot of the tarsal glands on me from that stinky buck.
    Next morning, walking up an old road, stopped to glass across the lake and up the other mountain.
    Crunch, crunch, crunch from behind me (took me several seconds to realize something was coming at me!!)
    There it is, a 4 pt buck coming straight at me down the hill, trotting, not walking.
    Forgot about that deer!!??….that was a 10 yard shot. (plus a few extra ones_)

Same with my buddy, he had spilled a whole bottle of buck urine in his pants.
    Had been glassing a moose in the middle of the cut block.
    Again, crunching snow, and looks to his right, and he is almost completely run over by a "really nice" buck.
    Hip shot it as it was so close.
    Only a few feet, as he had been kneeling right down while glassing.

So weird stuff happens, that's for sure!

Black bear - 20 yds
    Moose - 30 yds.
    Both rifle.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Have taken a few cougars on, hand-to-hand combat... Got scratched and bit up a little,,,oh wait this one may be for a different thread.
    "From Covid to Hitler in 16 posts. Not today folks"

“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.” ― George Orwell

Quakee Surpee Neekoo