Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Re: What is The Shortest Range you have taken any game?

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Couple 15-20 yard bear shots on my YouTube. 2018 one you see the liver shot. Didn't get the 3 yard follow up head shot on film thank goodness. Not something I want to re-live. 30-06 recoil saved me from seeing what it looked like but caddisgirl said it looked like something out of Hollywood *gag* ... how much proof do you actually want to see from these stories? Want it slow motion too? Close ups aren't my favorite but are pretty common in region 2. 3 yards on a rock ledge blowing out your ear drum, close up double lung / spine shot seeing the front legs dig ruts for a few seconds. Never filmed either and would never post it if I did. I think I have some raw footage of the 3 yard headshot aftermath and shoving it off the cliff but it's staying in the raw unpublished archives. I'm a one-trick pony for sure but blackies at close range is my routine.
    Brother don't be offended. I just meant, so many people on here have taken game and not really mentioned it that's all. I don't need pics or videos. I love reading the stories and always give the story teller the benefit of the doubt and assume it happened.

Black Bear 2-3 feet in a slash burn pile BLR 325WSM

Hunting bear up Nanaimo Lakes. My partner shot a medium size dry sow at about 125 yards. It went down like a poleaxed Steer. We gave it about 20 min then my partner went down to check and yells at me it's gone", we were above a little lake and I told him to go down hill toward the water. I grabbed the 325 hand went down to help him work out the trail. I start to blood trail and my partner yells out "it's here, I can hear it" "well shoot the F-ing thing" I reply. His answer floored me. "I can't I didn't bring my rifle"........ Down I go and the bear had been spined far back, crawled into a big slash pile, I could hear it but not see it. The pile was like a huge beaver damn and very tight. I finally found a big log on one side that I could crawl in to access the interior. I get about 10 feet into the pile, I can hear it, I can smell it, but still not see it. As I crawled deeper I see it's head come up beside the log at about 2-3 feet, mouth open and growling. At that point I stuck the 325 in its face and touched of a shot. Thankfully It finished it because there would have been no time or room to work the lever for a second shot. The Pile was so tight we had to skin and break it down inside the pile and bring it out in pieces. Fortunately for the sake of our friendship My partner moved away so no need to "fire" him, lol. This was the incident that inspired the 45-70 double gun "Holy Crap Canon" so 2 shots would be available with no cycling. Them African PHs have it figured for when the $hit hits the fan.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

yup caddisguy is a great sharer of experiances...he's been extra sensitive lately...i think he needs to move out of the city.

Two elk, two years apart, both at 4 yrds out of a treestand. One to the left and one to the right. Longbow on one, compound on the other.
    Cougar at 7 yrds. Recurve.
    Blackbear at 18. Recurve.
    Mule Deer at 10. Recurve.
    Numerous whitetail with a variety of weapons, recurve, longbow, compound. Shortest at 2 yrds. Longest at 22yrds.

2 yards,island black tail....I jumped up on a mossy rock and the buck was bedded down the other side in the salal,he stood up and I shot him

This year coyote, called in with a fawn distress call to 6 feet, taken with my .280 and 140gr nosler head on....thought he was going to jump over the bush I was hiding behind. lol. He didn't run.

0 feet. Wounded black bear that came up from behind a log after me. Rifle barrel in the ear when I fired.

Mule deer buck 15 yards, .30-06
    i was walking quickly down a logging road at first light to get to a particular spot I had seen a nice buck the day before. For some reason I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going, I think I was looking at some doe tracks on the road as I walked. Wouldn’t you know it, I nearly ran into that doe. I heard her stomp, looked up and she was at 5 yards but because I had the wind advantage she didn’t spook right away. Then I heard another stomp behind me and there was another doe at 10 yards on the hill above me, and a 3 point buck 5 yards further and to the right of her. I had gotten into the middle of a little band of deer. So I picked up my rifle off my shoulder and fed the buck a copper pill.

Black bear charging me, not sure if the arrow was past the rest when the broad head hit him.
    yep that's what I said

black bear at a tree I was standing 2 feet from it IF even that ... 243 dropped it
    Shhhhitttt I got this hold my beer